PHOENIX — A rollover accident on eastbound Interstate 10 at 24th Street Wednesday closed all but the emergency lane and created a 43-mile logjam over three freeways.
The mess lasted for five hours hours, finally clearing around 11 a.m.
Commuter traffic was delayed after a flatbed truck carrying mulch flipped over, spilling its load, affecting traffic on Interstate 17 and State Route 51.
Traffic on I-10 was pushed back 13 miles. Some cars managed to sneak past using the shoulder.
The backup also spilled over onto southbound I-17, with a 17-mile ribbon of brake lights snaking from the closure to Bell Road.
The Piestewa Freeway was tied up for 13 miles.
By 10 a.m. two lanes were open on I-10.
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered