MESA, Ariz. — Arizona’s big players in the defense industry will be able to weather the sequester, said Mesa Mayor Scott Smith.
One of those big players, Boeing, is one of they city’s largest economic contributors and Smith feels the company will be fine.
“They’ve adapted,” he said. “They knew this was coming, so they planned for the worst.”
However, Smith is not as confident regarding the future of hundreds of small businesses that rely on contracts from companies like Boeing.
“These small businesses thrive when Boeing is thriving. When the bigger companies pull back on the threat of sequestration, that’s where the real economic impact occurs.”
Smith said it’s stunning that Congress and the Obama administration allowed things to reach this point.
“Nobody can be proud of this and, as a nation, we’re hurt by it. ”
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains