MESA, Ariz. — Arizona’s big players in the defense industry will be able to weather the sequester, said Mesa Mayor Scott Smith.
One of those big players, Boeing, is one of they city’s largest economic contributors and Smith feels the company will be fine.
“They’ve adapted,” he said. “They knew this was coming, so they planned for the worst.”
However, Smith is not as confident regarding the future of hundreds of small businesses that rely on contracts from companies like Boeing.
“These small businesses thrive when Boeing is thriving. When the bigger companies pull back on the threat of sequestration, that’s where the real economic impact occurs.”
Smith said it’s stunning that Congress and the Obama administration allowed things to reach this point.
“Nobody can be proud of this and, as a nation, we’re hurt by it. ”
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets