PHOENIX — The Greater Phoenix Economic Council has issued its study on the potential impacts of Congress and the White House failing to stop the so-called sequestration of massive federal budget cuts from taking effect Friday.
Barry Broome with GPEC said he doesn’t intend for this to be a doomsday report but the impact will be significant. There are almost 50,000 jobs tied to aerospace and defense in Arizona which has the nation’s sixth-largest share of Department of Defense contracts.
Broome estimates the state could lose $2.3 billion dollars each year, but until the sequestration actually happens, the size and effect of the cuts remains ambiguous.
“We get $13 billion in defense contracts each year. That’s a big number to our economy,” he said, adding that the billions in contracts are spread across 2,000 companies.
Broome’s report did not estimate the number of job losses in the state if the sequestration kicks in but it will be significant.
“I think Boeing in Mesa is in pretty good shape,” he said. “Honeywell has done a great job in diversification, but I am more nervous about Raytheon in Tucson more than any asset in the state.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development