PHOENIX — A Valley safety expert is reassuring NASCAR fans after last week’s tragedy in Florida.
Steven Adelman, a venue safety expert with the Adelman Law Group in Phoenix, said the upcoming Subway Fresh Fit 500 at Phoenix International Raceway that all that can be done to keep fans safe is being done.
At least 28 people were injured when tires and debris from Kyle Larsen’s car flew into the grandstands Saturday during the Daytona 500.
Adelman admitted there are some risks to spectators at a NASCAR event and said the organization realizes its sport can be dangerous.
“The essence of the event involves a certain measure of danger,” Adelman said. “While acknowledging that danger that cannot be reduced or eliminated, NASCAR and the racetracks it runs on take reasonable steps to protect fans so that they can enjoy that event, even with the reasonable measure of danger.”
He added that track officials are always assessing safety. “They went through a significant track and fence renovation in 2010.”
Adelman said anyone attending the races this weekend and is concerned about safety, he suggested sitting in seats that are further away from the track.
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match