PHOENIX — A Valley safety expert is reassuring NASCAR fans after last week’s tragedy in Florida.
Steven Adelman, a venue safety expert with the Adelman Law Group in Phoenix, said the upcoming Subway Fresh Fit 500 at Phoenix International Raceway that all that can be done to keep fans safe is being done.
At least 28 people were injured when tires and debris from Kyle Larsen’s car flew into the grandstands Saturday during the Daytona 500.
Adelman admitted there are some risks to spectators at a NASCAR event and said the organization realizes its sport can be dangerous.
“The essence of the event involves a certain measure of danger,” Adelman said. “While acknowledging that danger that cannot be reduced or eliminated, NASCAR and the racetracks it runs on take reasonable steps to protect fans so that they can enjoy that event, even with the reasonable measure of danger.”
He added that track officials are always assessing safety. “They went through a significant track and fence renovation in 2010.”
Adelman said anyone attending the races this weekend and is concerned about safety, he suggested sitting in seats that are further away from the track.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.