GLENDALE, Ariz. — Instead of sitting in math class Monday, 11-year-old Emerson Majarucln joined other students outside Heritage Elementary to learn a real life financial lesson.
“It’s great to lend a helping hand to those who are in need of food,” she said.
Emerson and others handed out fresh produce, bread and desserts to families short on cash. Principal Lynn Brodie said after the school’s own pantry was depleted, she called St. Mary’s Food Bank for help. Now, on the fourth Monday of every month, St. Mary’s drops off fresh produce and other food.
“We’re starting with ten pallets, but could go up to 23 pallets,” said Brodie.
They expect to serve a couple hundred families each month on the Heritage campus.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever