GLENDALE, Ariz. — Instead of sitting in math class Monday, 11-year-old Emerson Majarucln joined other students outside Heritage Elementary to learn a real life financial lesson.
“It’s great to lend a helping hand to those who are in need of food,” she said.
Emerson and others handed out fresh produce, bread and desserts to families short on cash. Principal Lynn Brodie said after the school’s own pantry was depleted, she called St. Mary’s Food Bank for help. Now, on the fourth Monday of every month, St. Mary’s drops off fresh produce and other food.
“We’re starting with ten pallets, but could go up to 23 pallets,” said Brodie.
They expect to serve a couple hundred families each month on the Heritage campus.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food