PHOENIX — If you’re planning on going away for spring break or for a summer vacation, one Valley travel agent said it’s likely you haven’t considered heading south of the border.
Paul Seiferth said he has seen a steady decline in the number of travelers interested in going to Mexico.
“We used to do a lot of business in Mexico: Cancun, Mazatlan, Cabo. I would say it’s a 75 percent decline over the past two years,” Paul Seiferth, who owns Terra Travel.
Seiferth said that, because of our close proximity to Mexico, Arizonans are inundated with news reports of violent cartels and border violence.
“It’s sad,” he said. “People in Mexico work very hard. Ninety-nine-point-nine percent of them are good, hard-working, honest people, but you hear about the cartels and it scares people.”
Seiferth said he travels to Mexico and feels safe doing so.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America