PHOENIX — The White House said Arizona is facing almost $30 million of cuts to education if Congress and the president fail to reach an agreement to stop the so-called sequester from taking effect Friday.
The White House said 350 Arizona teachers could lose their jobs, with 120 of those being teachers who help children with disabilities.
“That impacts our most vulnerable children: Students with special needs, early childhood education for students from low income backgrounds,” said Pearl Chang-Esau with Expect More Arizona, a Valley-based education advocacy group.
Chang-Esau said if the federal government chops $30 million in federal funding to Arizona, she’s hopeful that it can backfilled with dollars out of the state’s rainy day fund.
“We have to look at how we invest in new resources and reinvest in existing resources to get the best outcome that we can for our kids.”
Chang-Esau’s also alarmed head start services would be cut for about 1,000 children if the sequestration takes effect.
The coming federal cuts come on top of big state cuts from 2008 to 2012, when the Legislature chopped more than $671 million from K-12 education, according to the Joint Legislative Budget Committee. Voters also rejected Proposition 204, which would have made a one-cent sales tax increase permanent to help fund public schools.
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again