Scottsdale City Council members are being asked to write a check for $14 million to build a Western art and history museum in the downtown arts district.
Ned O’Hearn, with the nonprofit Scottsdale Museum of the West, said if the city commits then his group will gather private donations to cover design and annual operating costs.
“Scottsdale is known as the West’s most Western town,” said O’Hearn. “And, people come here to experience the West. We’ve never really had a venue where people can learn and appreciate the whole story of the West.”
He said the museum would be an economic driver for downtown businesses and art galleries.
Council members could make a decision Tuesday night. If they approve, the museum on city-owned land northwest of Marshall Way and Second Street could be open within 18 months.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food