Scottsdale City Council members are being asked to write a check for $14 million to build a Western art and history museum in the downtown arts district.
Ned O’Hearn, with the nonprofit Scottsdale Museum of the West, said if the city commits then his group will gather private donations to cover design and annual operating costs.
“Scottsdale is known as the West’s most Western town,” said O’Hearn. “And, people come here to experience the West. We’ve never really had a venue where people can learn and appreciate the whole story of the West.”
He said the museum would be an economic driver for downtown businesses and art galleries.
Council members could make a decision Tuesday night. If they approve, the museum on city-owned land northwest of Marshall Way and Second Street could be open within 18 months.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development