PHOENIX — The White House said Arizona’s defense industry and education system will take about $80 million in cuts but Jim Rounds with Elliott D. Pollack and Company said Arizona can take that hit.
At least 10,000 civilian Department of Defense workers will be furloughed. More than 300 teachers could lose their jobs.
“We’re going to add 60,000 to 70,000 new jobs this year in Arizona so if we lose 10,000 to 15,000 from sequestration we’re still going to have decent growth,” Rounds said.
Arizona Republican Sen. Jeff Flake said he has little doubt that the sequestration will take effect Friday because “Senate Democrats and the White House have been unwilling dance partners.
“We got out of the fiscal cliff by simply punting on spending cuts and we can’t continue to do that.”
Flake said federal spending must be cut but this is a clumsy way to do it.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development