PHOENIX — The White House said Arizona’s defense industry and education system will take about $80 million in cuts but Jim Rounds with Elliott D. Pollack and Company said Arizona can take that hit.
At least 10,000 civilian Department of Defense workers will be furloughed. More than 300 teachers could lose their jobs.
“We’re going to add 60,000 to 70,000 new jobs this year in Arizona so if we lose 10,000 to 15,000 from sequestration we’re still going to have decent growth,” Rounds said.
Arizona Republican Sen. Jeff Flake said he has little doubt that the sequestration will take effect Friday because “Senate Democrats and the White House have been unwilling dance partners.
“We got out of the fiscal cliff by simply punting on spending cuts and we can’t continue to do that.”
Flake said federal spending must be cut but this is a clumsy way to do it.
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise