PHOENIX — Gov. Jan Brewer has been in Washington for the winter meeting of the National Governors Association and Monday morning the group will gather at the White House.
The meeting comes just days before the sequester automatically cuts $85 billion of federal spending. Matt Benson with the Governor’s Office said he believes the sequester will be the focus of the meeting.
“The sequester looks like it will become reality and the state is taking as many actions as we can to prepare for that but there’s a lot of uncertainty,” Benson said.
The cuts. according to the White House. would have a major impact on the state’s defense industry and education. Arizona would
$17.7 million in funding for K-12 schools. The lost funding could result in about 240 teaching and aide jobs being put at risk.
Additionally, Arizona would lose about $10 million for 120 teachers and staff who help children with disabilities.
Head Start services would be eliminated for about 1,000 children in Arizona.
About 2,300 fewer low-income students in Arizona would receive aid to help them finance the costs of college and around 330 fewer students will get work-study jobs that help them pay for college.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night