PHOENIX — Gov. Jan Brewer has been in Washington for the winter meeting of the National Governors Association and Monday morning the group will gather at the White House.
The meeting comes just days before the sequester automatically cuts $85 billion of federal spending. Matt Benson with the Governor’s Office said he believes the sequester will be the focus of the meeting.
“The sequester looks like it will become reality and the state is taking as many actions as we can to prepare for that but there’s a lot of uncertainty,” Benson said.
The cuts. according to the White House. would have a major impact on the state’s defense industry and education. Arizona would
$17.7 million in funding for K-12 schools. The lost funding could result in about 240 teaching and aide jobs being put at risk.
Additionally, Arizona would lose about $10 million for 120 teachers and staff who help children with disabilities.
Head Start services would be eliminated for about 1,000 children in Arizona.
About 2,300 fewer low-income students in Arizona would receive aid to help them finance the costs of college and around 330 fewer students will get work-study jobs that help them pay for college.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them