PHOENIX — Gov. Jan Brewer has been in Washington for the winter meeting of the National Governors Association and Monday morning the group will gather at the White House.
The meeting comes just days before the sequester automatically cuts $85 billion of federal spending. Matt Benson with the Governor’s Office said he believes the sequester will be the focus of the meeting.
“The sequester looks like it will become reality and the state is taking as many actions as we can to prepare for that but there’s a lot of uncertainty,” Benson said.
The cuts. according to the White House. would have a major impact on the state’s defense industry and education. Arizona would
$17.7 million in funding for K-12 schools. The lost funding could result in about 240 teaching and aide jobs being put at risk.
Additionally, Arizona would lose about $10 million for 120 teachers and staff who help children with disabilities.
Head Start services would be eliminated for about 1,000 children in Arizona.
About 2,300 fewer low-income students in Arizona would receive aid to help them finance the costs of college and around 330 fewer students will get work-study jobs that help them pay for college.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.