PHOENIX — Gov. Jan Brewer has been in Washington for the winter meeting of the National Governors Association and Monday morning the group will gather at the White House.
The meeting comes just days before the sequester automatically cuts $85 billion of federal spending. Matt Benson with the Governor’s Office said he believes the sequester will be the focus of the meeting.
“The sequester looks like it will become reality and the state is taking as many actions as we can to prepare for that but there’s a lot of uncertainty,” Benson said.
The cuts. according to the White House. would have a major impact on the state’s defense industry and education. Arizona would
$17.7 million in funding for K-12 schools. The lost funding could result in about 240 teaching and aide jobs being put at risk.
Additionally, Arizona would lose about $10 million for 120 teachers and staff who help children with disabilities.
Head Start services would be eliminated for about 1,000 children in Arizona.
About 2,300 fewer low-income students in Arizona would receive aid to help them finance the costs of college and around 330 fewer students will get work-study jobs that help them pay for college.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees