TEMPE, Ariz. — Panhandlers bothering people outside of convenience stores, malls, supermarkets are a growing problem across the Valley.
Many of them are truly in need, but others are far more aggressive and Tempe is putting teeth into its ordinance to prevent the aggressive ones from hassling people.
Nikki Ripley with the City of Tempe said panhandlers could spend six months in jail and pay a $2,500 fine if they’re caught breaking the law, the highest level of misdemeanor offenses.
“It will preserve the rights of everyone who lives here and comes here for events. We don’t want people to be impeded by the behavior of some of the panhandlers.”
Starting in 30 days, panhandlers will not be allowed to bother customers within 15 feet of ATMs, banks, bus stops, light rail and taxi stops and they won’t be allowed to panhandle within 10 feet of businesses or block entrances at businesses.
It’s unknown if any other Valley cities will follow Tempe’s lead and toughen up laws against panhandlers.
The Arizona Court of Appeals struck down a Phoenix law against nighttime panhandling in 2011
saying that cities can’t bar people from simply asking passers-by for money at night.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets