TEMPE, Ariz. — Panhandlers bothering people outside of convenience stores, malls, supermarkets are a growing problem across the Valley.
Many of them are truly in need, but others are far more aggressive and Tempe is putting teeth into its ordinance to prevent the aggressive ones from hassling people.
Nikki Ripley with the City of Tempe said panhandlers could spend six months in jail and pay a $2,500 fine if they’re caught breaking the law, the highest level of misdemeanor offenses.
“It will preserve the rights of everyone who lives here and comes here for events. We don’t want people to be impeded by the behavior of some of the panhandlers.”
Starting in 30 days, panhandlers will not be allowed to bother customers within 15 feet of ATMs, banks, bus stops, light rail and taxi stops and they won’t be allowed to panhandle within 10 feet of businesses or block entrances at businesses.
It’s unknown if any other Valley cities will follow Tempe’s lead and toughen up laws against panhandlers.
The Arizona Court of Appeals struck down a Phoenix law against nighttime panhandling in 2011
saying that cities can’t bar people from simply asking passers-by for money at night.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona