PHOENIX — Exhibition baseball season is about to bring a big chunk money into the Valley.
Spring training games start Friday, and with them comes hundreds of thousands of fans and tourists. Last season, the Cactus League set an attendance record with 1.7 million fans.
“Sixty percent of that was out-of state visitors,” said Mark Coronado, Cactus League president. “According to 2012 numbers, we were able to deliver an economic impact of about $422 million.”
Coronado said that was just the money made on games. Add the revenue generated year-round, and the Cactus League has a $632 million economic impact on the Valley.
“The spring-training impact was up from 2007 about 30 percent. We were in the $300 million range,” Coronado said.
The exhibition home for the Arizona Diamondbacks and Colorado Rockies has a lot to do with the increase. Since opening in 2011, Salt River Fields has dramatically increased attendance.
“They are becoming one of the highlights of our Cactus League,” Coronado said. “The Rockies historically were in the bottom third of attendance when they were in Tucson and now they’ll be in the top third.”
The Cactus League could be in for another record-setting season. With some ballparks hosting extra games for the World Baseball Classic, this could be its best year.
For more information visit Arizona Sports’ Spring Training Headquarters
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon