PHOENIX — Exhibition baseball season is about to bring a big chunk money into the Valley.
Spring training games start Friday, and with them comes hundreds of thousands of fans and tourists. Last season, the Cactus League set an attendance record with 1.7 million fans.
“Sixty percent of that was out-of state visitors,” said Mark Coronado, Cactus League president. “According to 2012 numbers, we were able to deliver an economic impact of about $422 million.”
Coronado said that was just the money made on games. Add the revenue generated year-round, and the Cactus League has a $632 million economic impact on the Valley.
“The spring-training impact was up from 2007 about 30 percent. We were in the $300 million range,” Coronado said.
The exhibition home for the Arizona Diamondbacks and Colorado Rockies has a lot to do with the increase. Since opening in 2011, Salt River Fields has dramatically increased attendance.
“They are becoming one of the highlights of our Cactus League,” Coronado said. “The Rockies historically were in the bottom third of attendance when they were in Tucson and now they’ll be in the top third.”
The Cactus League could be in for another record-setting season. With some ballparks hosting extra games for the World Baseball Classic, this could be its best year.
For more information visit Arizona Sports’ Spring Training Headquarters
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona