PHOENIX — City leaders and business owners in Page, Ariz. held an emergency meeting Thursday to discuss what type of impact a massive sinkhole on US 89 will have on the local economy.
“Tourism is huge here,” said Robin Crowther with the City of Page. “They are really concerned since tourism season kicks off about March 1,” said Crowther.
The total area involves approximately 500 feet of damaged pavement, but it appears the settlement could be bigger. According to the Arizona Department of Transportation, there is significant cracking in the soil down the slope.
“This is probably a 500 to 700 foot section that we are going to have to take a good look at,” said Samour.
Currently, geologists are assessing the situation and trying to figure out what exactly happened to the earth. Without an exact cause, it is impossible to develop a plan for a long-term fix.
“We want to remind tourists that we are open and ready to take care of them,” said Crowther.
According to the ADOT, US 89 is closed northbound at US 89A. In Page, US 89 is closed at the junction with State Route 98. The US 89 will remain closed for an unspecified amount of time.
In the meantime, traffic is detouring around the closure by using U.S. 160 and
State Route 98. That adds 45 miles of driving.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development