PHOENIX — City leaders and business owners in Page, Ariz. held an emergency meeting Thursday to discuss what type of impact a massive sinkhole on US 89 will have on the local economy.
“Tourism is huge here,” said Robin Crowther with the City of Page. “They are really concerned since tourism season kicks off about March 1,” said Crowther.
The total area involves approximately 500 feet of damaged pavement, but it appears the settlement could be bigger. According to the Arizona Department of Transportation, there is significant cracking in the soil down the slope.
“This is probably a 500 to 700 foot section that we are going to have to take a good look at,” said Samour.
Currently, geologists are assessing the situation and trying to figure out what exactly happened to the earth. Without an exact cause, it is impossible to develop a plan for a long-term fix.
“We want to remind tourists that we are open and ready to take care of them,” said Crowther.
According to the ADOT, US 89 is closed northbound at US 89A. In Page, US 89 is closed at the junction with State Route 98. The US 89 will remain closed for an unspecified amount of time.
In the meantime, traffic is detouring around the closure by using U.S. 160 and
State Route 98. That adds 45 miles of driving.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns