PHOENIX — City leaders and business owners in Page, Ariz. held an emergency meeting Thursday to discuss what type of impact a massive sinkhole on US 89 will have on the local economy.
“Tourism is huge here,” said Robin Crowther with the City of Page. “They are really concerned since tourism season kicks off about March 1,” said Crowther.
The total area involves approximately 500 feet of damaged pavement, but it appears the settlement could be bigger. According to the Arizona Department of Transportation, there is significant cracking in the soil down the slope.
“This is probably a 500 to 700 foot section that we are going to have to take a good look at,” said Samour.
Currently, geologists are assessing the situation and trying to figure out what exactly happened to the earth. Without an exact cause, it is impossible to develop a plan for a long-term fix.
“We want to remind tourists that we are open and ready to take care of them,” said Crowther.
According to the ADOT, US 89 is closed northbound at US 89A. In Page, US 89 is closed at the junction with State Route 98. The US 89 will remain closed for an unspecified amount of time.
In the meantime, traffic is detouring around the closure by using U.S. 160 and
State Route 98. That adds 45 miles of driving.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona