PHOENIX — The Phoenix Street Transportation Department submitted a request for proposal, or RFP, Tuesday for a possible bicycle-sharing program near the light rail.
According to the Downtown Devil, this system hopes to promote an effective and sustainable means of alternative transportation for local residents.
“Bike share helps extend the reach of residents. It can extend the reach of the light rail for two to three miles with a bike trip,” said Jeff Stapleton, senior policy advisor to Mayor Greg Stanton. “Bike share is an overall philosophy to improve transit for the citizens of Phoenix.”
Phoenix is not the first highly populated area to consider adopting this type of system. Other areas, like Washington, D.C., founded Capital Bikeshare, a program that provides over 1,500 bicycles for rent per day.
“It’s time for Phoenix to grow up, it’s one of the biggest cities in the country. It has to act like one,” Stapleton said.
The Downtown Devil reported that Phoenix, and its 1.5 million inhabitants, has four potential candidates for the city’s bicycle-sharing system. Alta Bicycle Share, B-Cycle, Bike Nation and Cycle Hop/Social Bikes are all potential suppliers of bicycles and their rental stations.
The RFP is designed specifically to find a contractor to construct, sustain and market the bicycle-sharing system prior to the proposed December 2013 launch date, according to the City of Phoenix.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development