PHOENIX — The Phoenix Street Transportation Department submitted a request for proposal, or RFP, Tuesday for a possible bicycle-sharing program near the light rail.
According to the Downtown Devil, this system hopes to promote an effective and sustainable means of alternative transportation for local residents.
“Bike share helps extend the reach of residents. It can extend the reach of the light rail for two to three miles with a bike trip,” said Jeff Stapleton, senior policy advisor to Mayor Greg Stanton. “Bike share is an overall philosophy to improve transit for the citizens of Phoenix.”
Phoenix is not the first highly populated area to consider adopting this type of system. Other areas, like Washington, D.C., founded Capital Bikeshare, a program that provides over 1,500 bicycles for rent per day.
“It’s time for Phoenix to grow up, it’s one of the biggest cities in the country. It has to act like one,” Stapleton said.
The Downtown Devil reported that Phoenix, and its 1.5 million inhabitants, has four potential candidates for the city’s bicycle-sharing system. Alta Bicycle Share, B-Cycle, Bike Nation and Cycle Hop/Social Bikes are all potential suppliers of bicycles and their rental stations.
The RFP is designed specifically to find a contractor to construct, sustain and market the bicycle-sharing system prior to the proposed December 2013 launch date, according to the City of Phoenix.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.