PHOENIX — The Phoenix Street Transportation Department submitted a request for proposal, or RFP, Tuesday for a possible bicycle-sharing program near the light rail.
According to the Downtown Devil, this system hopes to promote an effective and sustainable means of alternative transportation for local residents.
“Bike share helps extend the reach of residents. It can extend the reach of the light rail for two to three miles with a bike trip,” said Jeff Stapleton, senior policy advisor to Mayor Greg Stanton. “Bike share is an overall philosophy to improve transit for the citizens of Phoenix.”
Phoenix is not the first highly populated area to consider adopting this type of system. Other areas, like Washington, D.C., founded Capital Bikeshare, a program that provides over 1,500 bicycles for rent per day.
“It’s time for Phoenix to grow up, it’s one of the biggest cities in the country. It has to act like one,” Stapleton said.
The Downtown Devil reported that Phoenix, and its 1.5 million inhabitants, has four potential candidates for the city’s bicycle-sharing system. Alta Bicycle Share, B-Cycle, Bike Nation and Cycle Hop/Social Bikes are all potential suppliers of bicycles and their rental stations.
The RFP is designed specifically to find a contractor to construct, sustain and market the bicycle-sharing system prior to the proposed December 2013 launch date, according to the City of Phoenix.
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof