A poll released on Wednesday indicates a high percentage of Americans feel illegal immigrants should be deported.
According to Yahoo News, over half of the U.S. citizens polled in a Reuters/Ipsos survey said that illegal immigrants should leave the U.S. and 23 percent polled in favor of deporting all illegal immigrants. Another 30 percent agreed on the side of deportation excluding a small minority.
Conversely, 5 percent said all illegal immigrants should be permitted to stay in America pending legal approval, while 31 percent believed all illegal immigrants should stay regardless. The poll surveyed 1,443 U.S. citizens over 18-years-old from Friday through Tuesday.
Ipsos pollster Julia Clark said the poll results mirror a number of other past surveys proposing the majority of Americans have not changed their position on the nation’s illegal immigration dispute.
“It’s not Americans’ views that are shifting. It is that the political climate is ripe for this discussion,” after the November election when Hispanics voted overwhelmingly in favor of Democratic President Barack Obama, she said.
“Democrats feel that the time is right to capitalize on their wins and Republicans feel that they had a bad blow and are eager to reach out to Hispanics,” she added.
This issue has directly resonated between both political parties. The illegal immigration debate has essentially resulted in utter division through Democrats and Republicans respectively, according to an alternative Reuters/Ipsos survey.
This particular poll showed that 75 percent of Republicans feel that all or a vast majority of illegal immigrants should face deportation. On the other hand, only 40 percent of Democrats agree that illegal immigrants should be deported.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon