A poll released on Wednesday indicates a high percentage of Americans feel illegal immigrants should be deported.
According to Yahoo News, over half of the U.S. citizens polled in a Reuters/Ipsos survey said that illegal immigrants should leave the U.S. and 23 percent polled in favor of deporting all illegal immigrants. Another 30 percent agreed on the side of deportation excluding a small minority.
Conversely, 5 percent said all illegal immigrants should be permitted to stay in America pending legal approval, while 31 percent believed all illegal immigrants should stay regardless. The poll surveyed 1,443 U.S. citizens over 18-years-old from Friday through Tuesday.
Ipsos pollster Julia Clark said the poll results mirror a number of other past surveys proposing the majority of Americans have not changed their position on the nation’s illegal immigration dispute.
“It’s not Americans’ views that are shifting. It is that the political climate is ripe for this discussion,” after the November election when Hispanics voted overwhelmingly in favor of Democratic President Barack Obama, she said.
“Democrats feel that the time is right to capitalize on their wins and Republicans feel that they had a bad blow and are eager to reach out to Hispanics,” she added.
This issue has directly resonated between both political parties. The illegal immigration debate has essentially resulted in utter division through Democrats and Republicans respectively, according to an alternative Reuters/Ipsos survey.
This particular poll showed that 75 percent of Republicans feel that all or a vast majority of illegal immigrants should face deportation. On the other hand, only 40 percent of Democrats agree that illegal immigrants should be deported.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns