A poll released on Wednesday indicates a high percentage of Americans feel illegal immigrants should be deported.
According to Yahoo News, over half of the U.S. citizens polled in a Reuters/Ipsos survey said that illegal immigrants should leave the U.S. and 23 percent polled in favor of deporting all illegal immigrants. Another 30 percent agreed on the side of deportation excluding a small minority.
Conversely, 5 percent said all illegal immigrants should be permitted to stay in America pending legal approval, while 31 percent believed all illegal immigrants should stay regardless. The poll surveyed 1,443 U.S. citizens over 18-years-old from Friday through Tuesday.
Ipsos pollster Julia Clark said the poll results mirror a number of other past surveys proposing the majority of Americans have not changed their position on the nation’s illegal immigration dispute.
“It’s not Americans’ views that are shifting. It is that the political climate is ripe for this discussion,” after the November election when Hispanics voted overwhelmingly in favor of Democratic President Barack Obama, she said.
“Democrats feel that the time is right to capitalize on their wins and Republicans feel that they had a bad blow and are eager to reach out to Hispanics,” she added.
This issue has directly resonated between both political parties. The illegal immigration debate has essentially resulted in utter division through Democrats and Republicans respectively, according to an alternative Reuters/Ipsos survey.
This particular poll showed that 75 percent of Republicans feel that all or a vast majority of illegal immigrants should face deportation. On the other hand, only 40 percent of Democrats agree that illegal immigrants should be deported.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes