Mother Nature threw the Valley a curveball and created a big mess at Salt River Fields.
Wednesday’s wild weather dumped snow on the fields, and left the ballpark with a thick coat of ice. Ground crews started to clean up on Thursday by chopping up the frozen snow with lawn mowers.
“Get it a little thinner so as the day warms up a little bit we’ll start to get this to melt off,” said Dave Dunn, general manager at Salt River Fields. “Even after it melts we’re going to have a lot of moisture underneath to take care of.”
The change in the weather came just before the Diamondbacks play their first spring training game against the Colorado Rockies on Saturday.
“The fields will be fine. The stadium field drains amazingly well,” Dunn said. “There’s no more rain or anything else in the forecast so we’ll be good.”
While the fields should be in good shape come game time, they weren’t ready for practice. The Diamondbacks were forced to move their training to Papago Park on Thursday.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development