Mother Nature threw the Valley a curveball and created a big mess at Salt River Fields.
Wednesday’s wild weather dumped snow on the fields, and left the ballpark with a thick coat of ice. Ground crews started to clean up on Thursday by chopping up the frozen snow with lawn mowers.
“Get it a little thinner so as the day warms up a little bit we’ll start to get this to melt off,” said Dave Dunn, general manager at Salt River Fields. “Even after it melts we’re going to have a lot of moisture underneath to take care of.”
The change in the weather came just before the Diamondbacks play their first spring training game against the Colorado Rockies on Saturday.
“The fields will be fine. The stadium field drains amazingly well,” Dunn said. “There’s no more rain or anything else in the forecast so we’ll be good.”
While the fields should be in good shape come game time, they weren’t ready for practice. The Diamondbacks were forced to move their training to Papago Park on Thursday.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths