Mother Nature threw the Valley a curveball and created a big mess at Salt River Fields.
Wednesday’s wild weather dumped snow on the fields, and left the ballpark with a thick coat of ice. Ground crews started to clean up on Thursday by chopping up the frozen snow with lawn mowers.
“Get it a little thinner so as the day warms up a little bit we’ll start to get this to melt off,” said Dave Dunn, general manager at Salt River Fields. “Even after it melts we’re going to have a lot of moisture underneath to take care of.”
The change in the weather came just before the Diamondbacks play their first spring training game against the Colorado Rockies on Saturday.
“The fields will be fine. The stadium field drains amazingly well,” Dunn said. “There’s no more rain or anything else in the forecast so we’ll be good.”
While the fields should be in good shape come game time, they weren’t ready for practice. The Diamondbacks were forced to move their training to Papago Park on Thursday.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick