PHOENIX — Automatic $85 billion budget cuts will take effect next Friday if Congress cannot reach agreement on the so-called sequester and national parks and the states economy will feel the bite.
According to a leaked Park Service memo, Grand Canyon, Saguaro, Petrified Forest national parks will take a 5 percent cut each.
Arizona’s three national parks and almost two dozen national monuments pump $12 billion into the state each year.
Kevin Dahl with the National Parks Conservation Association said hours of operation and services will be reduced at the Grand Canyon and he believes an unknown number of employees will lose jobs. The opening of the east and west Rim drives would also be delayed.
“Park rangers who welcome people and provide safety,” Dahl said. “We could see park closures and roads closed.”
The sequestration could put a big dent in local economies because for every federal dollar spent on parks, $10 is pumped into the state’s economy.
“That includes Flagstaff and Phoenix because people fly into Phoenix and rent cars.”
Dahl said cuts to the parks could lead many international visitors to look for another place to visit.
“Those are tourists from Asia and Europe bringing tourist dollars to hotels, restaurants and buying gifts.”
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life