PHOENIX — Automatic $85 billion budget cuts will take effect next Friday if Congress cannot reach agreement on the so-called sequester and national parks and the states economy will feel the bite.
According to a leaked Park Service memo, Grand Canyon, Saguaro, Petrified Forest national parks will take a 5 percent cut each.
Arizona’s three national parks and almost two dozen national monuments pump $12 billion into the state each year.
Kevin Dahl with the National Parks Conservation Association said hours of operation and services will be reduced at the Grand Canyon and he believes an unknown number of employees will lose jobs. The opening of the east and west Rim drives would also be delayed.
“Park rangers who welcome people and provide safety,” Dahl said. “We could see park closures and roads closed.”
The sequestration could put a big dent in local economies because for every federal dollar spent on parks, $10 is pumped into the state’s economy.
“That includes Flagstaff and Phoenix because people fly into Phoenix and rent cars.”
Dahl said cuts to the parks could lead many international visitors to look for another place to visit.
“Those are tourists from Asia and Europe bringing tourist dollars to hotels, restaurants and buying gifts.”
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America