PHOENIX — The new University of Arizona Cancer Center at St. Joseph’s
Hospital and Medical Center in downtown Phoenix held a ceremonial groundbreaking on Thursday.
The new outpatient clinic at the Phoenix Biomedical Campus will go up on the
northwest corner of Fillmore and Seventh streets.
It’s expected to open in 2015.
The 220,000-square-foot, $100 million cancer clinic will offer comprehensive
cancer services. The five-story building will feature nearly a quarter-of-a-million square feet of clinical lab space and specialized cancer services.
University President Ann Weaver Hart said the center will be a place where doctors can do groundbreaking research on different types of cancer. She said they will be “physicians who understand that basic research needs to be translated into treatments and that those treatments need to be tried so that we can understand how to advance the health, well being and survival of cancer among our citizens.”
Under an affiliation agreement approved by the Arizona Board of Regents and
Dignity Health Arizona, St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center will operate
outpatient services at the new downtown facility as well at its hospital campus.
St. Joseph’s President Linda Hunt said the center already has a goal.
“Let’s figure out how we can recognize cancer earlier,” she said. “Let’s cure cancer sooner, and let’s help people be healthier, so that they don’t get cancer.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever