PHOENIX — The new University of Arizona Cancer Center at St. Joseph’s
Hospital and Medical Center in downtown Phoenix held a ceremonial groundbreaking on Thursday.
The new outpatient clinic at the Phoenix Biomedical Campus will go up on the
northwest corner of Fillmore and Seventh streets.
It’s expected to open in 2015.
The 220,000-square-foot, $100 million cancer clinic will offer comprehensive
cancer services. The five-story building will feature nearly a quarter-of-a-million square feet of clinical lab space and specialized cancer services.
University President Ann Weaver Hart said the center will be a place where doctors can do groundbreaking research on different types of cancer. She said they will be “physicians who understand that basic research needs to be translated into treatments and that those treatments need to be tried so that we can understand how to advance the health, well being and survival of cancer among our citizens.”
Under an affiliation agreement approved by the Arizona Board of Regents and
Dignity Health Arizona, St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center will operate
outpatient services at the new downtown facility as well at its hospital campus.
St. Joseph’s President Linda Hunt said the center already has a goal.
“Let’s figure out how we can recognize cancer earlier,” she said. “Let’s cure cancer sooner, and let’s help people be healthier, so that they don’t get cancer.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development