PHOENIX — The new University of Arizona Cancer Center at St. Joseph’s
Hospital and Medical Center in downtown Phoenix held a ceremonial groundbreaking on Thursday.
The new outpatient clinic at the Phoenix Biomedical Campus will go up on the
northwest corner of Fillmore and Seventh streets.
It’s expected to open in 2015.
The 220,000-square-foot, $100 million cancer clinic will offer comprehensive
cancer services. The five-story building will feature nearly a quarter-of-a-million square feet of clinical lab space and specialized cancer services.
University President Ann Weaver Hart said the center will be a place where doctors can do groundbreaking research on different types of cancer. She said they will be “physicians who understand that basic research needs to be translated into treatments and that those treatments need to be tried so that we can understand how to advance the health, well being and survival of cancer among our citizens.”
Under an affiliation agreement approved by the Arizona Board of Regents and
Dignity Health Arizona, St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center will operate
outpatient services at the new downtown facility as well at its hospital campus.
St. Joseph’s President Linda Hunt said the center already has a goal.
“Let’s figure out how we can recognize cancer earlier,” she said. “Let’s cure cancer sooner, and let’s help people be healthier, so that they don’t get cancer.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy