PHOENIX — If you’ve got a lot of water at your house after Wednesday’s storm, you may be able to put it to good use.
The University of Arizona’s Cooperative Extension Facility in Phoenix is teaching something residents about rainwater harvesting. The system involves catching the rainwater in a barrel and distributing the water elsewhere in your yard.
Summer Waters with U of A said the system can be built to whatever you want.
“It go from a simple, small-scale, something that you attach to an accessory structure like your shed out back, to a large-scale system that can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars,” she said, adding that water can be redirected to a garden or other areas of your yard.
A big rainstorm can send a lot of water to your house.
“If you have a 2,000-square-foot house, and you get a one-inch storm, you can get 1,200 gallons of water,” Waters said.
Rainwater harvesting dates back to the third century BC, when farming communities in what is now Pakistan, Iran and Afghanistan used it for irrigation.
You can learn more about rainwater harvesting during the University’s Dragonfly event Saturday in Phoenix.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier