PHOENIX — If you’ve got a lot of water at your house after Wednesday’s storm, you may be able to put it to good use.
The University of Arizona’s Cooperative Extension Facility in Phoenix is teaching something residents about rainwater harvesting. The system involves catching the rainwater in a barrel and distributing the water elsewhere in your yard.
Summer Waters with U of A said the system can be built to whatever you want.
“It go from a simple, small-scale, something that you attach to an accessory structure like your shed out back, to a large-scale system that can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars,” she said, adding that water can be redirected to a garden or other areas of your yard.
A big rainstorm can send a lot of water to your house.
“If you have a 2,000-square-foot house, and you get a one-inch storm, you can get 1,200 gallons of water,” Waters said.
Rainwater harvesting dates back to the third century BC, when farming communities in what is now Pakistan, Iran and Afghanistan used it for irrigation.
You can learn more about rainwater harvesting during the University’s Dragonfly event Saturday in Phoenix.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets