CHANDLER, Ariz. — A Chandler firearm dealer said sales to women have doubled since the Sandy Hook shootings.
Nationwide, more women are signing up for firearms training courses and buying guns as the gun control debate continues following December’s school shootings.
Dale Roddy with Desert Valley Firearms in Chandler said gun makers are increasingly catering to the female gun buyer with ink guns and rifles and clothing lines like Camo Kitty. He’s having a hard time keeping items in stock.
“The gunmakers are appealing to women with the colors and patterns, but when it comes down to it a lot of the women just want the Glock,” he said. “They’ve done their homework and they are a very educated customer. Twnety-five percent of our firearms sales right now are to women. Before the Sandy Hook school shootings, women accounted for about 10 percent of gun sales. As far as our firearms safety courses go, a majority are females taking the training.”
Roddy said, while most people might associate men with being strong supporters of the Second Amendment and speaking out against stricter gun control measures, women are equally concerned.
“We have them write down before they take the class what they’re expected out of it. Ninety percent of the time it’s self-protection and learning how to use the firearm safely. They tell me with what’s going on in the world, ‘I want to protect myself.'”
Roddy’s firearms training courses are booked solid through April.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.