CHANDLER, Ariz. — A Chandler firearm dealer said sales to women have doubled since the Sandy Hook shootings.
Nationwide, more women are signing up for firearms training courses and buying guns as the gun control debate continues following December’s school shootings.
Dale Roddy with Desert Valley Firearms in Chandler said gun makers are increasingly catering to the female gun buyer with ink guns and rifles and clothing lines like Camo Kitty. He’s having a hard time keeping items in stock.
“The gunmakers are appealing to women with the colors and patterns, but when it comes down to it a lot of the women just want the Glock,” he said. “They’ve done their homework and they are a very educated customer. Twnety-five percent of our firearms sales right now are to women. Before the Sandy Hook school shootings, women accounted for about 10 percent of gun sales. As far as our firearms safety courses go, a majority are females taking the training.”
Roddy said, while most people might associate men with being strong supporters of the Second Amendment and speaking out against stricter gun control measures, women are equally concerned.
“We have them write down before they take the class what they’re expected out of it. Ninety percent of the time it’s self-protection and learning how to use the firearm safely. They tell me with what’s going on in the world, ‘I want to protect myself.'”
Roddy’s firearms training courses are booked solid through April.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development