PHOENIX — It wasn’t long ago 10-year-old Jesus Martinez was homeless. He and his family lived in a shelter before moving out a couple of years ago.
Now living under a roof of his own, Martinez attends Children First Academy, a school in Phoenix for underprivileged kids. At a recent groundbreaking for the school’s new building, Martinez met Arizona Superintendent of Education John Huppenthal.
“Mr. Huppenthal asked me what I wanted to be when I grow up, so then I said, ‘An electrician.'”
Little did Martinez know that Huppenthal had worked in the electrical field for over 30 years with Salt River Project.
“He went up to the stage and started talking, then he announced my name and I stood up,” Martinez said. “I felt a little shy.”
After the groundbreaking ceremony, Huppenthal reached out to Martinez and told him he would help him achieve his dream. The two had their first learning session on Wednesday at the Arizona Science Center.
“I indicated to him that if he’s interested in becoming an engineer, I’d be willing to give him a certain amount of tutoring on a personal level,” Huppenthal said.
At only 10-years-old, Martinez has an edge over his young competition. Not only does he earn As and Bs in all of his classes, but Arizona Public Service also gave him an engineering starter kit and he’ll be able to tour the SRP plants.
“He’s just a great student, he’s engaging, and he’s got a great smile. We think he has a great future ahead of him and we’re going to do what we can to make sure he has a real good trajectory,” said Huppenthal.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.