PHOENIX — Sen. John McCain held a town hall Wednesday in Phoenix that focused almost entirely on gun control in America.
A crowd of about 150 appeared to be evenly divided by gun supporters and opponents. McCain told the crowd that Congress will not pass an assault weapons ban.
Karen Teves, whose son Alex was killed in the Aurora, Colo. movie theater shooting, said she was not pleased with McCain’s assertion that an assault weapons ban is out of the question.
“What he doesn’t realize that 81 percent of Americans, 71 percent of gun owners and 60 percent of NRA members support renewing the assault weapons ban,” she said.
McCain did not say if he supports or opposes universal background checks for all gun buyers which many believe will close the so-called gun show loophole.
“Obviously we have two goals: Keeping guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill,” he said. “We need to take measures to achieve that.”
That assault weapons ban was signed into law by former President Bill Clinton in 1994 and expired in 2004.
At a Sun Lakes town hall Tuesday, McCain was grilled about immigration reform. It was a much calmer town hall on Wednesday.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl