PHOENIX — Sen. John McCain held a town hall Wednesday in Phoenix that focused almost entirely on gun control in America.
A crowd of about 150 appeared to be evenly divided by gun supporters and opponents. McCain told the crowd that Congress will not pass an assault weapons ban.
Karen Teves, whose son Alex was killed in the Aurora, Colo. movie theater shooting, said she was not pleased with McCain’s assertion that an assault weapons ban is out of the question.
“What he doesn’t realize that 81 percent of Americans, 71 percent of gun owners and 60 percent of NRA members support renewing the assault weapons ban,” she said.
McCain did not say if he supports or opposes universal background checks for all gun buyers which many believe will close the so-called gun show loophole.
“Obviously we have two goals: Keeping guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill,” he said. “We need to take measures to achieve that.”
That assault weapons ban was signed into law by former President Bill Clinton in 1994 and expired in 2004.
At a Sun Lakes town hall Tuesday, McCain was grilled about immigration reform. It was a much calmer town hall on Wednesday.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development