PHOENIX — Sen. John McCain held a town hall Wednesday in Phoenix that focused almost entirely on gun control in America.
A crowd of about 150 appeared to be evenly divided by gun supporters and opponents. McCain told the crowd that Congress will not pass an assault weapons ban.
Karen Teves, whose son Alex was killed in the Aurora, Colo. movie theater shooting, said she was not pleased with McCain’s assertion that an assault weapons ban is out of the question.
“What he doesn’t realize that 81 percent of Americans, 71 percent of gun owners and 60 percent of NRA members support renewing the assault weapons ban,” she said.
McCain did not say if he supports or opposes universal background checks for all gun buyers which many believe will close the so-called gun show loophole.
“Obviously we have two goals: Keeping guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill,” he said. “We need to take measures to achieve that.”
That assault weapons ban was signed into law by former President Bill Clinton in 1994 and expired in 2004.
At a Sun Lakes town hall Tuesday, McCain was grilled about immigration reform. It was a much calmer town hall on Wednesday.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night