PHOENIX — The clock continues to tick down toward March 1, when a package of massive federal spending cuts take effect automatically if Congress and the president can’t find a solution before the deadline.
Some call it the sequester, others say it’s fiscal cliff, part two. Sen. John McCain just called it devastating, adding that the cuts to Arizona could cost 49,000 jobs, with 35,000 in the defense industry alone.
“It’s outrageous and shameful and impairs the ability to defend our nation in these very tense times with great challenges to our national security,” he said.
McCain laid the blame squarely on the president for the situation.
“During the campaign the president said, ‘Won’t happen.’ And now he’s saying as long as we don’t raise taxes, etc.”
McCain said Arizona will lose almost $5 billion in state product in the sequester, with a majority of that in defense.
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise