PHOENIX — The clock continues to tick down toward March 1, when a package of massive federal spending cuts take effect automatically if Congress and the president can’t find a solution before the deadline.
Some call it the sequester, others say it’s fiscal cliff, part two. Sen. John McCain just called it devastating, adding that the cuts to Arizona could cost 49,000 jobs, with 35,000 in the defense industry alone.
“It’s outrageous and shameful and impairs the ability to defend our nation in these very tense times with great challenges to our national security,” he said.
McCain laid the blame squarely on the president for the situation.
“During the campaign the president said, ‘Won’t happen.’ And now he’s saying as long as we don’t raise taxes, etc.”
McCain said Arizona will lose almost $5 billion in state product in the sequester, with a majority of that in defense.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night