PHOENIX — Grab a dictionary and look up “graupel.”
That’s what fell from the skies in the Valley Wednesday — soft hail — while other parts of Arizona experienced
so much snow that schools were closed and rain brought a golf tournament to a screeching halt.
Flagstaff public schools and Northern Arizona
University were closed because of snow. In metro Phoenix, graupel covered cars and bounced off the sidewalk mid- afternoon, catching drivers by surprise.
A National Weather Service forecast predicted up to 6 inches of snow in
Flagstaff and Prescott and up to 9 inches of snow in Payson on Wednesday.
The weather service said the winter storm warning for the Flagstaff region will
be in effect from until 8 p.m.
US 60 was closed between Superior and Miami because of heavy snowfall. It was reopened about 3:30 p.m. Drivers are required to use chains or four-wheel drive vehicles to travel north of Payson.
In Marana, just outside of Tucson, play in the PGA Tour’s Match Play Championship was
suspended because of snow and rain.
There was a blizzard warning set for Bisbee, Ariz.
It was also reported that at least three flights were diverted from Tucson to Phoenix.
Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night