PHOENIX — Grab a dictionary and look up “graupel.”
That’s what fell from the skies in the Valley Wednesday — soft hail — while other parts of Arizona experienced
so much snow that schools were closed and rain brought a golf tournament to a screeching halt.
Flagstaff public schools and Northern Arizona
University were closed because of snow. In metro Phoenix, graupel covered cars and bounced off the sidewalk mid- afternoon, catching drivers by surprise.
A National Weather Service forecast predicted up to 6 inches of snow in
Flagstaff and Prescott and up to 9 inches of snow in Payson on Wednesday.
The weather service said the winter storm warning for the Flagstaff region will
be in effect from until 8 p.m.
US 60 was closed between Superior and Miami because of heavy snowfall. It was reopened about 3:30 p.m. Drivers are required to use chains or four-wheel drive vehicles to travel north of Payson.
In Marana, just outside of Tucson, play in the PGA Tour’s Match Play Championship was
suspended because of snow and rain.
There was a blizzard warning set for Bisbee, Ariz.
It was also reported that at least three flights were diverted from Tucson to Phoenix.
Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets