PHOENIX — Former Arizona State University spirit squad member and recent graduate Kelsey McCormick will have to wait to start pursuing her career goals.
Just days before starting a new job, she was diagnosed with Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia.
“We have insurance, but there are so many things not covered. It will be very expensive,” said Steve McCormick, Kelsey’s father.
The mounting medical bills have inspired the McCormicks to come up with a creative way to help raise money to care for Kelsey. Shea McCormick, the sick woman’s sister is a die-hard University of Arizona fan and despite her illness, Kelsey remains faithful to ASU.
The family has started a website where people can donate to Kelsey on behalf of either school.
“Whichever school raises the most money for Kelsey, I will wear that school’s jersey in the Pat Tillman Run which takes place on 20th at ASU,” said Steve McCormick.
Donations can be tracked on a Facebook page established by the family.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever