PHOENIX — Former Arizona State University spirit squad member and recent graduate Kelsey McCormick will have to wait to start pursuing her career goals.
Just days before starting a new job, she was diagnosed with Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia.
“We have insurance, but there are so many things not covered. It will be very expensive,” said Steve McCormick, Kelsey’s father.
The mounting medical bills have inspired the McCormicks to come up with a creative way to help raise money to care for Kelsey. Shea McCormick, the sick woman’s sister is a die-hard University of Arizona fan and despite her illness, Kelsey remains faithful to ASU.
The family has started a website where people can donate to Kelsey on behalf of either school.
“Whichever school raises the most money for Kelsey, I will wear that school’s jersey in the Pat Tillman Run which takes place on 20th at ASU,” said Steve McCormick.
Donations can be tracked on a Facebook page established by the family.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes