PHOENIX — Former Arizona State University spirit squad member and recent graduate Kelsey McCormick will have to wait to start pursuing her career goals.
Just days before starting a new job, she was diagnosed with Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia.
“We have insurance, but there are so many things not covered. It will be very expensive,” said Steve McCormick, Kelsey’s father.
The mounting medical bills have inspired the McCormicks to come up with a creative way to help raise money to care for Kelsey. Shea McCormick, the sick woman’s sister is a die-hard University of Arizona fan and despite her illness, Kelsey remains faithful to ASU.
The family has started a website where people can donate to Kelsey on behalf of either school.
“Whichever school raises the most money for Kelsey, I will wear that school’s jersey in the Pat Tillman Run which takes place on 20th at ASU,” said Steve McCormick.
Donations can be tracked on a Facebook page established by the family.
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered