Up to 500 Little League players in Claypool, Ariz., might not have the chance to do what they love the most: to play baseball.
On Friday, a fire which was started by a faulty outlet destroyed a storage facility and all of the contents inside, which included most of the league’s baseball gear.
“It melted aluminum bats, it got extremely hot in there,” said Wes Sukosky, President of the Pinal Mountain Little League.
The fire not only destroyed the equipment, but it created uncertainty among the players who are 5- to 12-years-old.
“They can’t wait to baseball, it’s their thing. On Friday after the fire, my 11-year-old son asked me ‘Dad, are we going to have a season?’ I said, ‘Yes, son, we are going to have a season,'” Sukosky said.
While the league has insurance, Sukosky fears if he files a claim, the children won’t get their equipment in time for the season to start in March. He also wants to avoid having insurance premiums to go up because the cost would be passed along to parents next year.
“If I can do this all on donations, that’s what I am going to do, but there’s no way something like this is going to get us down,” Sukosky said.
If you would like to help the league with equipment donations or monetary donations, call Sukosky at (928) 812-0957.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl