Up to 500 Little League players in Claypool, Ariz., might not have the chance to do what they love the most: to play baseball.
On Friday, a fire which was started by a faulty outlet destroyed a storage facility and all of the contents inside, which included most of the league’s baseball gear.
“It melted aluminum bats, it got extremely hot in there,” said Wes Sukosky, President of the Pinal Mountain Little League.
The fire not only destroyed the equipment, but it created uncertainty among the players who are 5- to 12-years-old.
“They can’t wait to baseball, it’s their thing. On Friday after the fire, my 11-year-old son asked me ‘Dad, are we going to have a season?’ I said, ‘Yes, son, we are going to have a season,'” Sukosky said.
While the league has insurance, Sukosky fears if he files a claim, the children won’t get their equipment in time for the season to start in March. He also wants to avoid having insurance premiums to go up because the cost would be passed along to parents next year.
“If I can do this all on donations, that’s what I am going to do, but there’s no way something like this is going to get us down,” Sukosky said.
If you would like to help the league with equipment donations or monetary donations, call Sukosky at (928) 812-0957.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona