Up to 500 Little League players in Claypool, Ariz., might not have the chance to do what they love the most: to play baseball.
On Friday, a fire which was started by a faulty outlet destroyed a storage facility and all of the contents inside, which included most of the league’s baseball gear.
“It melted aluminum bats, it got extremely hot in there,” said Wes Sukosky, President of the Pinal Mountain Little League.
The fire not only destroyed the equipment, but it created uncertainty among the players who are 5- to 12-years-old.
“They can’t wait to baseball, it’s their thing. On Friday after the fire, my 11-year-old son asked me ‘Dad, are we going to have a season?’ I said, ‘Yes, son, we are going to have a season,'” Sukosky said.
While the league has insurance, Sukosky fears if he files a claim, the children won’t get their equipment in time for the season to start in March. He also wants to avoid having insurance premiums to go up because the cost would be passed along to parents next year.
“If I can do this all on donations, that’s what I am going to do, but there’s no way something like this is going to get us down,” Sukosky said.
If you would like to help the league with equipment donations or monetary donations, call Sukosky at (928) 812-0957.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.