Up to 500 Little League players in Claypool, Ariz., might not have the chance to do what they love the most: to play baseball.
On Friday, a fire which was started by a faulty outlet destroyed a storage facility and all of the contents inside, which included most of the league’s baseball gear.
“It melted aluminum bats, it got extremely hot in there,” said Wes Sukosky, President of the Pinal Mountain Little League.
The fire not only destroyed the equipment, but it created uncertainty among the players who are 5- to 12-years-old.
“They can’t wait to baseball, it’s their thing. On Friday after the fire, my 11-year-old son asked me ‘Dad, are we going to have a season?’ I said, ‘Yes, son, we are going to have a season,'” Sukosky said.
While the league has insurance, Sukosky fears if he files a claim, the children won’t get their equipment in time for the season to start in March. He also wants to avoid having insurance premiums to go up because the cost would be passed along to parents next year.
“If I can do this all on donations, that’s what I am going to do, but there’s no way something like this is going to get us down,” Sukosky said.
If you would like to help the league with equipment donations or monetary donations, call Sukosky at (928) 812-0957.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food