PHOENIX — The Arizona Education Association has come out fighting on a bill that would allow teachers to have a gun in the classroom. But there are teachers who support the plan.
Pinal County teacher Teresa Ottesen Binder said she would pull the trigger to stop a gunman on her school campus with her weapons training.
“Yes I could. And I realize pulling the trigger puts me in danger but I care about my students enough that I would risk my life for them.”
The bill, sponsored by Republican State Rep. David Stevens and backed by Attorney General Tom Horne, would give teachers firearm training and allow them to have a gun in the classroom.
Binder doesn’t know if arming teachers could stop a tragedy like the school shootings in Connecticut last December that left 26 people dead, including 20 children
“With hindsight being 20-20 we all wish we knew what the outcome would have been (if the principal or teachers would have been armed to stop Lanza’s shooting).”
Binder said she’s in the minority when it comes to being a teacher with firearms training.
“Most teachers don’t have the training to disarm another person.”
Horne said he would prefer armed police officers in each school but the budget won’t allow for that. The next best option, he said, is arming one person in each school to deal with situations such as the Connecticut school shootings.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever