PHOENIX — The Arizona Education Association has come out fighting on a bill that would allow teachers to have a gun in the classroom. But there are teachers who support the plan.
Pinal County teacher Teresa Ottesen Binder said she would pull the trigger to stop a gunman on her school campus with her weapons training.
“Yes I could. And I realize pulling the trigger puts me in danger but I care about my students enough that I would risk my life for them.”
The bill, sponsored by Republican State Rep. David Stevens and backed by Attorney General Tom Horne, would give teachers firearm training and allow them to have a gun in the classroom.
Binder doesn’t know if arming teachers could stop a tragedy like the school shootings in Connecticut last December that left 26 people dead, including 20 children
“With hindsight being 20-20 we all wish we knew what the outcome would have been (if the principal or teachers would have been armed to stop Lanza’s shooting).”
Binder said she’s in the minority when it comes to being a teacher with firearms training.
“Most teachers don’t have the training to disarm another person.”
Horne said he would prefer armed police officers in each school but the budget won’t allow for that. The next best option, he said, is arming one person in each school to deal with situations such as the Connecticut school shootings.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night