PHOENIX — While executives work to finalize the merger between Tempe-based US Airways and American Airlines, one organization is making sure travelers get a fair shake.
Consumer Travel Alliance, a nonprofit group, recently took apart claims by the airlines that the deal will help consumers.
“The first problem is we’re going to be cutting competition by about 20 percent,” said Charlie Leocha, director of the nonprofit.
“We’re getting down to only four major network carriers, so it’s really changing the dynamics of competition,” he said.
Consumer Travel Alliance has worked in Washington D.C. the past four years. In a few months, Leocha will testify before Congress, making a case against the merger.
“We’re seeing passengers’ lives being upended, and for what good reason? It’s only a good reason from the executives’ point of view and from the creditors’ point of view,” Leocha said.
While he admits the merger will probably go through, Leocha thinks he has a good chance of establishing some new consumer-focused regulations, where price competition will still be in effect.
“Consumers can compare the full price of tickets with ancillary fee disclosures, and they’ll be able to have more protections in terms of their contracts of carriage. If we can get some of those things put into place there will be a silver lining for consumers,” he said.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night