PHOENIX — While executives work to finalize the merger between Tempe-based US Airways and American Airlines, one organization is making sure travelers get a fair shake.
Consumer Travel Alliance, a nonprofit group, recently took apart claims by the airlines that the deal will help consumers.
“The first problem is we’re going to be cutting competition by about 20 percent,” said Charlie Leocha, director of the nonprofit.
“We’re getting down to only four major network carriers, so it’s really changing the dynamics of competition,” he said.
Consumer Travel Alliance has worked in Washington D.C. the past four years. In a few months, Leocha will testify before Congress, making a case against the merger.
“We’re seeing passengers’ lives being upended, and for what good reason? It’s only a good reason from the executives’ point of view and from the creditors’ point of view,” Leocha said.
While he admits the merger will probably go through, Leocha thinks he has a good chance of establishing some new consumer-focused regulations, where price competition will still be in effect.
“Consumers can compare the full price of tickets with ancillary fee disclosures, and they’ll be able to have more protections in terms of their contracts of carriage. If we can get some of those things put into place there will be a silver lining for consumers,” he said.
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match