PHOENIX — While executives work to finalize the merger between Tempe-based US Airways and American Airlines, one organization is making sure travelers get a fair shake.
Consumer Travel Alliance, a nonprofit group, recently took apart claims by the airlines that the deal will help consumers.
“The first problem is we’re going to be cutting competition by about 20 percent,” said Charlie Leocha, director of the nonprofit.
“We’re getting down to only four major network carriers, so it’s really changing the dynamics of competition,” he said.
Consumer Travel Alliance has worked in Washington D.C. the past four years. In a few months, Leocha will testify before Congress, making a case against the merger.
“We’re seeing passengers’ lives being upended, and for what good reason? It’s only a good reason from the executives’ point of view and from the creditors’ point of view,” Leocha said.
While he admits the merger will probably go through, Leocha thinks he has a good chance of establishing some new consumer-focused regulations, where price competition will still be in effect.
“Consumers can compare the full price of tickets with ancillary fee disclosures, and they’ll be able to have more protections in terms of their contracts of carriage. If we can get some of those things put into place there will be a silver lining for consumers,” he said.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon