PHOENIX — Gov. Jan Brewer and state agencies are joining forces to help stop a deadly trend.
In 2010, there were 99 motorcycle-related deaths. In one year, the number spiked to 157.
“I see a lot of kids splitting lanes or acting goofy. It eventually gets them hurt,” said Daniel Bartlett, owner of Arizona Victory Motorcycle and longtime rider.
The governor has called upon the Governor’s Office of Highway Safety and Arizona Department of Transportation to develop a strategy to help combat the growing number of motorcyclists who are killed on Arizona roadways. The agencies have one year to devise a plan, however there will be a recommendation for more training and education.
“Education is especially important for these young riders, it keeps them from doing these dumb stunts,” Bartlett said.
He added that learning defensive driving would help inexperienced riders learn how to share the road with careless drivers.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food