SCOTTSDALE — There was no note. There was no call from the owner explaining why they had tied their sick horse to a fence at the Arizona Humane Society and just took off.
Through a series of events, the horse ended up with Amanda Moore, the owner of Reigning Grace Ranch Rescue. The non-profit organization pairs rescued horses with at-risk, troubled children.
“What’s most sad for me is that she never asked for that,” said Moore. “The horse is blind in one eye and slowly losing sight in the other. Her teeth and hooves are in very poor shape, and she could have cancer.”
But it seems the sick horse who’s been renamed Esperanza, the Spanish word for “hope”, will get the much-needed medical attention she deserves. In turn, Esperanza will one day be helping the children who attend the program.
Moore urges horse owners that if they can no longer care for their animal, do not leave a horse in the desert, at the Humane Society or list the animal on CraigsList. Instead, find a horse rescue. There are several in the state that can accommodate more horses.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food