PHOENIX — Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano will be in southern Arizona Tuesday to tour the border. Napolitano recently declared the border is as safe as it has ever been. Patrick Bray with the Arizona Cattlemen’s Association said ranchers will tell you that just isn’t so.
Dangerous drug and human smugglers have been able to elude ground sensors and cameras.
“They know when the cameras are operating and where they’re at,” Bray said.
Bray also noted that barbed wire fence is all that separates Arizona ranches from dangerous smugglers on much of the border. He’s calling for more boots on the ground to protect ranchers.
“The people moving the drugs are animals,” said Bray. “They have no regard for human life or the law. Since last February one rancher has had 17 drive-through’s on his property, where the smugglers cut the fence and drive a vehicle through and make it to the highway.
Bray said Napolitano is playing politics and not looking at the safety of people who live and work along the border.
“She was the Governor of Arizona and for her to throw this state under the bus is a shame,” said Bray. “We stand by having border security first.”
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl