PHOENIX — Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano will be in southern Arizona Tuesday to tour the border. Napolitano recently declared the border is as safe as it has ever been. Patrick Bray with the Arizona Cattlemen’s Association said ranchers will tell you that just isn’t so.
Dangerous drug and human smugglers have been able to elude ground sensors and cameras.
“They know when the cameras are operating and where they’re at,” Bray said.
Bray also noted that barbed wire fence is all that separates Arizona ranches from dangerous smugglers on much of the border. He’s calling for more boots on the ground to protect ranchers.
“The people moving the drugs are animals,” said Bray. “They have no regard for human life or the law. Since last February one rancher has had 17 drive-through’s on his property, where the smugglers cut the fence and drive a vehicle through and make it to the highway.
Bray said Napolitano is playing politics and not looking at the safety of people who live and work along the border.
“She was the Governor of Arizona and for her to throw this state under the bus is a shame,” said Bray. “We stand by having border security first.”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food