PHOENIX — Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano will be in southern Arizona Tuesday to tour the border. Napolitano recently declared the border is as safe as it has ever been. Patrick Bray with the Arizona Cattlemen’s Association said ranchers will tell you that just isn’t so.
Dangerous drug and human smugglers have been able to elude ground sensors and cameras.
“They know when the cameras are operating and where they’re at,” Bray said.
Bray also noted that barbed wire fence is all that separates Arizona ranches from dangerous smugglers on much of the border. He’s calling for more boots on the ground to protect ranchers.
“The people moving the drugs are animals,” said Bray. “They have no regard for human life or the law. Since last February one rancher has had 17 drive-through’s on his property, where the smugglers cut the fence and drive a vehicle through and make it to the highway.
Bray said Napolitano is playing politics and not looking at the safety of people who live and work along the border.
“She was the Governor of Arizona and for her to throw this state under the bus is a shame,” said Bray. “We stand by having border security first.”
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona