PHOENIX — There was no note, no call from the owner explaining why they had tied their sick horse to a fence at the Arizona Humane Society and left it there.
Through a series of events, the horse ended up with Amanda Moore, the owner of Reigning Grace Ranch Rescue. The non-profit organization pairs rescued horses with at-risk, troubled children.
“What’s most sad for me is that she never asked for that,” said Moore.
The horse is blind in one eye and slowly losing sight in the other. Her teeth and hooves are in very poor shape and she could have cancer.
But it seems the sick horse who’s been renamed Esperanza, the Spanish word for “hope,” will get much-needed medical attention she deserves. In turn, Esperanza will one day be helping the children who attend the program.
Moore urged horse owners who can no longer care for their animal to not leave it in the desert, at the Humane Society or list the animal on craigslist. Instead, find a horse rescue. There are several in the state that can accommodate more horses.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.