PHOENIX — There was no note, no call from the owner explaining why they had tied their sick horse to a fence at the Arizona Humane Society and left it there.
Through a series of events, the horse ended up with Amanda Moore, the owner of Reigning Grace Ranch Rescue. The non-profit organization pairs rescued horses with at-risk, troubled children.
“What’s most sad for me is that she never asked for that,” said Moore.
The horse is blind in one eye and slowly losing sight in the other. Her teeth and hooves are in very poor shape and she could have cancer.
But it seems the sick horse who’s been renamed Esperanza, the Spanish word for “hope,” will get much-needed medical attention she deserves. In turn, Esperanza will one day be helping the children who attend the program.
Moore urged horse owners who can no longer care for their animal to not leave it in the desert, at the Humane Society or list the animal on craigslist. Instead, find a horse rescue. There are several in the state that can accommodate more horses.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night