“USA” chants have spelled trouble for California high school students.
According to The Huffington Post, a number of Camarillo High School students wearing American flag bandanas started to chant at a basketball game vs. the visiting Rio Mesa High.
The Ventura County Star reported that an administrator told students to remove the headbands and stop chanting for fear of offending the other team, which was mostly Latino-based.
The group ignored the instructions and continued under the leadership of two students, Austin Medeiros and Stefan Valenzuela.
“We’ve done it always,” Medeiros told the Ventura County Star. “It’s something we do. It’s the same group of friends. We’re all very patriotic.”
The school initial reaction was to suspend the two youths for five days. However, the suspension was eventually dropped following a public protest of the school’s punishment.
“It has nothing to do with being patriotic or unpatriotic,” Superintendent of Oxnard Union School District Gabe Soumakian told Fox News. “It has to do with the fact that they are making a chant regarding that we are from the USA and you’re not. Whether that’s the implied intent, that’s the way it comes across.”
The California Department of Education’s website indicates that 67 percent of Rio Mesa High School students and 37 percent of Camarillo’s are Hispanic.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.