SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Spring training fever is in the air and that includes the Spring Training Festival in downtown Scottsdale.
The event focuses on getting children interested in baseball, and the science behind it.
“We’ve got specific baseball activities, with ASU professors here to explain how a curveball works,” said festival chairman Marc Miller. “We have a special area where they can actually throw a baseball and try to make it curve around a pole. It’s all very family friendly.”
Miller said they have seven hands-on displays to show kids how baseball works through science. They also have hitting activities and a pitching machine, where kids can try to guess how fast pitches are going.
The event benefits the Scottsdale Charros, a foundation that works to keep baseball at Scottsdale Stadium, where the San Francisco Giants play. Proceeds will go towards local Boys and Girls Clubs, scholarships and Miracle League Arizona.
The event runs from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday from noon to 5 p.m. Admission is $5.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns