SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Spring training fever is in the air and that includes the Spring Training Festival in downtown Scottsdale.
The event focuses on getting children interested in baseball, and the science behind it.
“We’ve got specific baseball activities, with ASU professors here to explain how a curveball works,” said festival chairman Marc Miller. “We have a special area where they can actually throw a baseball and try to make it curve around a pole. It’s all very family friendly.”
Miller said they have seven hands-on displays to show kids how baseball works through science. They also have hitting activities and a pitching machine, where kids can try to guess how fast pitches are going.
The event benefits the Scottsdale Charros, a foundation that works to keep baseball at Scottsdale Stadium, where the San Francisco Giants play. Proceeds will go towards local Boys and Girls Clubs, scholarships and Miracle League Arizona.
The event runs from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday from noon to 5 p.m. Admission is $5.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy