PHOENIX — Goodyear is expanding a program that puts police on school campuses.
After the school shootings in Connecticut, staff at Mabel Padgett Elementary School decided to let police officers use their campus as a substation during school hours.
“Instead of pulling over to the side of the road or going back to the station, they can stop at the school and do their paperwork, return their calls and get their work done there,” said Goodyear Police Public Information Officer Lisa Kutis.
Kutis said the program offers a police present for campuses at no cost to the school or the city. She said that it’s worked so well at Padgett that the program is being expanded to two other schools.
“The schools that have been added are Wester Elementary, which is in the Estrella Mountain Ranch area, and Centerra Mirage school in the central part of the city.”
Goodyear police hope this program will serve as a model for increased school security across the nation.
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates