PHOENIX — Goodyear is expanding a program that puts police on school campuses.
After the school shootings in Connecticut, staff at Mabel Padgett Elementary School decided to let police officers use their campus as a substation during school hours.
“Instead of pulling over to the side of the road or going back to the station, they can stop at the school and do their paperwork, return their calls and get their work done there,” said Goodyear Police Public Information Officer Lisa Kutis.
Kutis said the program offers a police present for campuses at no cost to the school or the city. She said that it’s worked so well at Padgett that the program is being expanded to two other schools.
“The schools that have been added are Wester Elementary, which is in the Estrella Mountain Ranch area, and Centerra Mirage school in the central part of the city.”
Goodyear police hope this program will serve as a model for increased school security across the nation.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development