Tucson will shine bright this weekend as the 59th Annual Tucson Gem and Mineral show gets underway.
Considered the largest event of its kind in the nation, vendors will showcase everything from precious gems to minerals to fossils.
“We have been going there for years and years,” said Shawn Marquez with the Arizona Department of Weights and Measures. However, inspectors don’t go to shop, but instead go to investigate whether dealers are being fair to customers.
Unfortunately, for the consumer, every year the ADWM discovers problems that could have a major impact on a buyer’s pocketbook.
“Vendors that are selling precious gold, gems, jewelry, rocks, anything you can think of, but they’re doing it on scales that aren’t legal for trade,” said Marquez.
Marquez advised attendees to do business only with a dealer that has a license to ensure that they are getting what they pay for.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments