Tucson will shine bright this weekend as the 59th Annual Tucson Gem and Mineral show gets underway.
Considered the largest event of its kind in the nation, vendors will showcase everything from precious gems to minerals to fossils.
“We have been going there for years and years,” said Shawn Marquez with the Arizona Department of Weights and Measures. However, inspectors don’t go to shop, but instead go to investigate whether dealers are being fair to customers.
Unfortunately, for the consumer, every year the ADWM discovers problems that could have a major impact on a buyer’s pocketbook.
“Vendors that are selling precious gold, gems, jewelry, rocks, anything you can think of, but they’re doing it on scales that aren’t legal for trade,” said Marquez.
Marquez advised attendees to do business only with a dealer that has a license to ensure that they are getting what they pay for.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon