Tucson will shine bright this weekend as the 59th Annual Tucson Gem and Mineral show gets underway.
Considered the largest event of its kind in the nation, vendors will showcase everything from precious gems to minerals to fossils.
“We have been going there for years and years,” said Shawn Marquez with the Arizona Department of Weights and Measures. However, inspectors don’t go to shop, but instead go to investigate whether dealers are being fair to customers.
Unfortunately, for the consumer, every year the ADWM discovers problems that could have a major impact on a buyer’s pocketbook.
“Vendors that are selling precious gold, gems, jewelry, rocks, anything you can think of, but they’re doing it on scales that aren’t legal for trade,” said Marquez.
Marquez advised attendees to do business only with a dealer that has a license to ensure that they are getting what they pay for.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees