PHOENIX — Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said he has been assured by executives from both US Airways and American Airlines that Phoenix will remain a major hub after the merger that has created the world’s largest airline, the new American Airlines.
Stanton was also assured that there will be no big job losses in the Valley, outside of losing the airline’s corporate office to Texas. Stanton said losing the headquarters is disappointing but he sees this union of US Airways and American as nothing but positive.
“This will continue to be a major, major employment center for this new airline.”
Stanton said the merger is a huge plus for Phoenix because direct flights to Asia and Europe will go a long way in improving the Valley economy.
“This will open up international possibilities. Phoenix is an international city and this is an international economy.
American Airlines and US Airways executives have also dispelled rumors that there would major flight cuts with the merger. The airlines have only 12 routes that overlap.
Americans eventual departure from Terminal 3 leaves open the possibility of Alaska Airlines and/or United eventually leaving the airports oldest facility at Terminal 2.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development