PHOENIX — Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said he has been assured by executives from both US Airways and American Airlines that Phoenix will remain a major hub after the merger that has created the world’s largest airline, the new American Airlines.
Stanton was also assured that there will be no big job losses in the Valley, outside of losing the airline’s corporate office to Texas. Stanton said losing the headquarters is disappointing but he sees this union of US Airways and American as nothing but positive.
“This will continue to be a major, major employment center for this new airline.”
Stanton said the merger is a huge plus for Phoenix because direct flights to Asia and Europe will go a long way in improving the Valley economy.
“This will open up international possibilities. Phoenix is an international city and this is an international economy.
American Airlines and US Airways executives have also dispelled rumors that there would major flight cuts with the merger. The airlines have only 12 routes that overlap.
Americans eventual departure from Terminal 3 leaves open the possibility of Alaska Airlines and/or United eventually leaving the airports oldest facility at Terminal 2.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food