PHOENIX — Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said he has been assured by executives from both US Airways and American Airlines that Phoenix will remain a major hub after the merger that has created the world’s largest airline, the new American Airlines.
Stanton was also assured that there will be no big job losses in the Valley, outside of losing the airline’s corporate office to Texas. Stanton said losing the headquarters is disappointing but he sees this union of US Airways and American as nothing but positive.
“This will continue to be a major, major employment center for this new airline.”
Stanton said the merger is a huge plus for Phoenix because direct flights to Asia and Europe will go a long way in improving the Valley economy.
“This will open up international possibilities. Phoenix is an international city and this is an international economy.
American Airlines and US Airways executives have also dispelled rumors that there would major flight cuts with the merger. The airlines have only 12 routes that overlap.
Americans eventual departure from Terminal 3 leaves open the possibility of Alaska Airlines and/or United eventually leaving the airports oldest facility at Terminal 2.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever