(AP) – 1939: Richard du Pont, of the DuPont chemical dynasty, founds All American Aviation, providing airmail service in Pennsylvania and the Ohio valley.
1948: Piedmont Airlines begins flying out of its base in Winston-Salem, N.C.
1949: All American transitions to passenger service. Pacific Southwest Airlines begins operations with service in California.
1953: All American changes its name to Allegheny Airlines.
1968: Allegheny merges with Indianapolis-based Lake Central Airlines.
1972: Allegheny acquires Mohawk Airlines, based in Utica, N.Y.
1978: Deregulation comes to the U.S. airline industry. Airlines are free to pick their own routes and set their own fares.
1979: Allegheny changes its name to USAir. It enters Arizona, California, Colorado and Texas.
1983: America West Airlines begins operations in Phoenix.
1986: Piedmont acquires Empire Airlines and its Syracuse, N.Y., hub.
1987: Piedmont Airlines and San Diego-based PSA become wholly-owned subsidiaries of USAir Group in two separate deals.
1992: USAir takes a 40 percent interest in the Trump Shuttle. Hourly flights from New York are offered to Boston and Washington, D.C., on what is now called USAir Shuttle. The airline takes full control of the shuttle five years later.
1993: USAir and British Airways announce an alliance plan, under which USAir gives up its London route authority. Three years later the partnership falls apart and USAir is left without lucrative spots at Heathrow airport.
1997: The airline changes its name to US Airways.
2000: United Airlines announces a deal to buy US Airways for $4.3 billion but the merger is blocked the following year by the Justice Department.
2002: US Airways enters Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization on Aug. 11.
2004: The airline files for bankruptcy protection for the second time in as many years on Sept. 14.
2005 America West announces on May 19 plans to buy US Airways out of bankruptcy. US Airways was days away from being liquidated. America West CEO Doug Parker heads up the new airline, a post he still has today.
2006: Parker makes an unsolicited $8.5 billion bid for Delta Air Lines which was restructuring in bankruptcy court. The airline rebuts the offer, with its CEO calling US Airways “the worst of all potential merger partners.”
2009: On Jan. 15, flight 1549 hits a flock of geese and loses power in both engines shortly after taking off from New York’s LaGuardia Airport. Capt. Chesley B. “Sully” Sullenberger ditches the airplane in the Hudson River. All 155 passengers and crew survive.
2010: US Airways and United once again discuss a merger only to have United ultimately chose to merge with Continental.
2011: AMR Corp., the parent of American Airlines, files for bankruptcy protection on Nov. 29. US Airways hires advisers to study a possible combination.
2012: US Airways and American disclose on Aug. 31 that they have signed a non-disclosure agreements and started confidential merger talks.
Feb. 13, 2013: The boards of American and US Airways approve a merger creating the world’s biggest airline.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths