PHOENIX — Floral shops will be flooded with customers ordering flowers to be delivered on this Valentine’s Day.
But sometimes customers send the flowers to the wrong person.
Jen Colvin is the owner of Ever After Florals in Phoenix. She remembers one customer in particular.
“I had a guy who was married and also had a girlfriend,” said Colvin. “He was ordering flowers for both women, and mixed the cards up.”
It happened years ago, in the days before cell phones. The man realized what he did, but not in time to stop the flowers that were intended for his wife, but went to his mistress instead.
As for his wife, he lucked out.
“The driver had to come back to the shop to get something that he forgot,” Colvin said. “When he got back, the person was in our store. That’s the only thing that saved him.”
Colvin made him another flower arrangement and sent the correct message to the man’s wife.
“The wife never found out,” said Colvin. The girlfriend obviously knew he was married. She got the mellow message that was meant for his wife, you know, the ‘Happy Valentine’s Day, I love you XOXOXO.’ The girlfriend didn’t get the juicy ‘I can’t wait to do this and this and that to you’ card that she was expecting to get.”
Colvin said she was politically correct and bit her tongue instead of telling the customer what she really thought of him.
As for other customers, it can be really emotional for florists when the see the messages people want on the flower arrangements they order and it doesn’t only happen on Valentine’s Day. She also arranges flowers for weddings and funerals.
“You get a lot of funeral work that really tugs at the heart strings,” Colvin said. “At certain weddings, maybe the parent just passed away, and the people are really having a hard time going through with the wedding.”
Colvin said that the floral industry has a lot of emotions behind it and florists have to know how to deal with customers and be compassionate with them.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever