PHOENIX — A parental rights bill, introduced by Sen. Nancy Barto, is making its way through the Arizona Legislature.
Under current Arizona law, a parent who has custody of a child can move up to 100 miles without letting the other spouse know. Senate Bill 1073 would change that. It would require that the parent be notified no matter what the distance of the move is, even if it’s just down the street.
“There will be a notice telling why they’re moving, and a little bit more information,” said Barto. “This is to give the other parent an opportunity to object.”
Barto said SB 1073 makes sure that both parents are treated fairly in custody issues.
“It insures that parents with joint custody rights can get a hearing in a timely matter so that neither parent, mother or father, has to go months and months without seeing their child,” she said.
Barto said she introduced the bill after hearing complaints from male constituents that they aren’t being treated fairly when it comes to child custody.
Both bills have cleared a Senate committee and are now headed to the full Senate for consideration.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon