PHOENIX — A parental rights bill, introduced by Sen. Nancy Barto, is making its way through the Arizona Legislature.
Under current Arizona law, a parent who has custody of a child can move up to 100 miles without letting the other spouse know. Senate Bill 1073 would change that. It would require that the parent be notified no matter what the distance of the move is, even if it’s just down the street.
“There will be a notice telling why they’re moving, and a little bit more information,” said Barto. “This is to give the other parent an opportunity to object.”
Barto said SB 1073 makes sure that both parents are treated fairly in custody issues.
“It insures that parents with joint custody rights can get a hearing in a timely matter so that neither parent, mother or father, has to go months and months without seeing their child,” she said.
Barto said she introduced the bill after hearing complaints from male constituents that they aren’t being treated fairly when it comes to child custody.
Both bills have cleared a Senate committee and are now headed to the full Senate for consideration.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes