PHOENIX — Police are scrambling to keep up with the rising number of metal thefts in Arizona.
Phoenix Police Sgt. Darren Burch said metal thieves have hit home air conditioning units, freeway lights, digital billboards and cell phone towers, among other things. There’s only so much a homeowner can do to prevent being ripped off.
“We’ve had people who’ve popped into a grocery store for a few minutes and come out to find the catalytic converter stolen from the car,” he said. “There are things we can do to minimize the thefts. Don’t leave ladders in your yard that the thieves can use to reach your home air conditioning units. Don’t post your every move on social media sites like Facebook and Twitter.”
Metal theft has become such a problem that state lawmakers are considering legislation that will make metal theft that endangers lives a Class 2 felony, the second-highest level of a felony crime in the state and equal to second-degree murder.
HB 2262, authored by Rep. Tom Forese, would require scrap metal dealers to register with the Arizona Department of Public Safety. Those who refuse would be put out of business.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development