PHOENIX — Police are scrambling to keep up with the rising number of metal thefts in Arizona.
Phoenix Police Sgt. Darren Burch said metal thieves have hit home air conditioning units, freeway lights, digital billboards and cell phone towers, among other things. There’s only so much a homeowner can do to prevent being ripped off.
“We’ve had people who’ve popped into a grocery store for a few minutes and come out to find the catalytic converter stolen from the car,” he said. “There are things we can do to minimize the thefts. Don’t leave ladders in your yard that the thieves can use to reach your home air conditioning units. Don’t post your every move on social media sites like Facebook and Twitter.”
Metal theft has become such a problem that state lawmakers are considering legislation that will make metal theft that endangers lives a Class 2 felony, the second-highest level of a felony crime in the state and equal to second-degree murder.
HB 2262, authored by Rep. Tom Forese, would require scrap metal dealers to register with the Arizona Department of Public Safety. Those who refuse would be put out of business.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets