PHOENIX — Allegiant Airlines said it has no intention of moving into Sky Harbor if American Airlines and US Airways merge.
Right now, American Airlines’ home is Terminal 3, which they share with Delta, Frontier and others. US Airways is at Terminal 4 with Southwest Airlines.
The new ‘American’ airlines would open up a spot for another airline, but Jessica Wheeler with Allegiant said they’re perfectly happy at Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport.
“We have a lot routes in and out of Mesa. We just opened a new route from Mesa to Honolulu. We’re happy there and we have no immediate plans to make a move to Sky Harbor.”
Reuters has reported that American and US Airways could sideline some of their aircraft if they merge and Allegiant could be in the market for used planes. Wheeler said there are no plans to start buying up the aircraft now but she isn’t ruling it out completely in the future.
“With those aircraft being parked, the price could come down and open up the opportunity to pick up some MD-80s and 757s at a relatively low cost.”
The airlines would streamline operations at Sky Harbor in the event of a merger. US Airways currently has 50 gates at Sky Harbor with 250 to 300 flights per day. American has three gates and about 20 flights each day.
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains