PHOENIX — Allegiant Airlines said it has no intention of moving into Sky Harbor if American Airlines and US Airways merge.
Right now, American Airlines’ home is Terminal 3, which they share with Delta, Frontier and others. US Airways is at Terminal 4 with Southwest Airlines.
The new ‘American’ airlines would open up a spot for another airline, but Jessica Wheeler with Allegiant said they’re perfectly happy at Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport.
“We have a lot routes in and out of Mesa. We just opened a new route from Mesa to Honolulu. We’re happy there and we have no immediate plans to make a move to Sky Harbor.”
Reuters has reported that American and US Airways could sideline some of their aircraft if they merge and Allegiant could be in the market for used planes. Wheeler said there are no plans to start buying up the aircraft now but she isn’t ruling it out completely in the future.
“With those aircraft being parked, the price could come down and open up the opportunity to pick up some MD-80s and 757s at a relatively low cost.”
The airlines would streamline operations at Sky Harbor in the event of a merger. US Airways currently has 50 gates at Sky Harbor with 250 to 300 flights per day. American has three gates and about 20 flights each day.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets