PHOENIX — Allegiant Airlines said it has no intention of moving into Sky Harbor if American Airlines and US Airways merge.
Right now, American Airlines’ home is Terminal 3, which they share with Delta, Frontier and others. US Airways is at Terminal 4 with Southwest Airlines.
The new ‘American’ airlines would open up a spot for another airline, but Jessica Wheeler with Allegiant said they’re perfectly happy at Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport.
“We have a lot routes in and out of Mesa. We just opened a new route from Mesa to Honolulu. We’re happy there and we have no immediate plans to make a move to Sky Harbor.”
Reuters has reported that American and US Airways could sideline some of their aircraft if they merge and Allegiant could be in the market for used planes. Wheeler said there are no plans to start buying up the aircraft now but she isn’t ruling it out completely in the future.
“With those aircraft being parked, the price could come down and open up the opportunity to pick up some MD-80s and 757s at a relatively low cost.”
The airlines would streamline operations at Sky Harbor in the event of a merger. US Airways currently has 50 gates at Sky Harbor with 250 to 300 flights per day. American has three gates and about 20 flights each day.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments