PHOENIX — Allegiant Airlines said it has no intention of moving into Sky Harbor if American Airlines and US Airways merge.
Right now, American Airlines’ home is Terminal 3, which they share with Delta, Frontier and others. US Airways is at Terminal 4 with Southwest Airlines.
The new ‘American’ airlines would open up a spot for another airline, but Jessica Wheeler with Allegiant said they’re perfectly happy at Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport.
“We have a lot routes in and out of Mesa. We just opened a new route from Mesa to Honolulu. We’re happy there and we have no immediate plans to make a move to Sky Harbor.”
Reuters has reported that American and US Airways could sideline some of their aircraft if they merge and Allegiant could be in the market for used planes. Wheeler said there are no plans to start buying up the aircraft now but she isn’t ruling it out completely in the future.
“With those aircraft being parked, the price could come down and open up the opportunity to pick up some MD-80s and 757s at a relatively low cost.”
The airlines would streamline operations at Sky Harbor in the event of a merger. US Airways currently has 50 gates at Sky Harbor with 250 to 300 flights per day. American has three gates and about 20 flights each day.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever