PHOENIX — The country is facing across-the-board budget cuts on March 1, unless Congress votes to stop them.
The action is called a sequester. Democrats are calling for more taxes to offset the cuts, something that Republicans are balking at. President Barack Obama wants a balanced solution that combines both spending cuts and more revenues.
Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton is glad that Obama talked about the potential sequester during his State of the Union speech Tuesday night.
“I think that the president and Congress need to not accept sequestration, which is this massive cuts that would result in massive job losses,” he said.
Stanton said a sequester would be devastating for Arizona.
“We cannot lose close to 50,000 jobs in the state of Arizona over the next few years. It would send us back into recession.”
Stanton is also glad that the president talked about immigration during his address last night. Obama renewed his call for sweeping immigration reform.
“It’s important for me as the mayor of a southwestern city that is soon to be a majority Latino city that [we get the] immigration issue behind us and done the right way,” he said. “Passing the right kind of comprehensive reform bill and moving on is incredibly important.”
Emotions were high at a Senate immigration hearing in Washington, D.C. Tuesday. Protesters interrupted Homeland Security Director Janet Napolitano as she spoke. After the protestors were taken out of the hearing, the former Arizona governor claimed that the U.S. border has never been more secure.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food