PHOENIX — Fill ‘er up! Phoenix is converting more of its trucks to run on compressed natural gas.
Within the next two months, 20 percent of the trucks that collect garbage and recyclables in Phoenix will run on the cleaner-burning fuel. Vice Mayor Bill Gates said it should cut down on emissions.
“Every single one of these CNG trucks that we put into service, and remove the diesel truck, that’s the equivalent of removing 325 cars off of the road,” he said. “It’s the right thing to do.”
There’s also an economic benefit to the city. At about $1.50 per gallon, CNG gas costs considerably less than other fuels.
“Because we’re switching the fleet to CNG, we’re going to save $2 million per year for the taxpayers,” Gates said. “That is really remarkable.”
The goal is to have 30 percent of Phoenix’s solid waste trucks running on CNG by the summer of 2014.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them