PHOENIX — Fill ‘er up! Phoenix is converting more of its trucks to run on compressed natural gas.
Within the next two months, 20 percent of the trucks that collect garbage and recyclables in Phoenix will run on the cleaner-burning fuel. Vice Mayor Bill Gates said it should cut down on emissions.
“Every single one of these CNG trucks that we put into service, and remove the diesel truck, that’s the equivalent of removing 325 cars off of the road,” he said. “It’s the right thing to do.”
There’s also an economic benefit to the city. At about $1.50 per gallon, CNG gas costs considerably less than other fuels.
“Because we’re switching the fleet to CNG, we’re going to save $2 million per year for the taxpayers,” Gates said. “That is really remarkable.”
The goal is to have 30 percent of Phoenix’s solid waste trucks running on CNG by the summer of 2014.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development