PHOENIX — For the past several months the Greater Phoenix Economic Council has done its best to lure California businesses to Arizona.
Now Texas is trying to steal the group’s thunder or at least cut into the action.
Texas is airing radio ads in California to convince companies there to relocate to the Lone Star State and Gov. Rick Perry is courting companies in person.
GPEC has offered free plane rides and hotel stays to the top 100 California CEOs to look at relocating to Arizona after California voters passed a $6 billion dollar tax hike that effects mainly higher-income earners. GPEC said it has 24 solid leads.
Barry Broome heads up GPEC and said Arizona is more than competitive with Texas as far as business climate.
“The cost of the living and real estate is lower here and we’re closer to California.
GPEC’s campaign has led to a war of words between Broome and California Gov. Jerry Brown, leading to
Barry vs. Jerry and now Barry vs. Perry.
“Our universities are as good or better. Arizona State performs better than the University of Texas and University of Arizona outperforms Texas A&M,” Broome said.
The Arizona Commerce Authority recently opened offices in California to pitch businesses full-time.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever