PHOENIX — For the past several months the Greater Phoenix Economic Council has done its best to lure California businesses to Arizona.
Now Texas is trying to steal the group’s thunder or at least cut into the action.
Texas is airing radio ads in California to convince companies there to relocate to the Lone Star State and Gov. Rick Perry is courting companies in person.
GPEC has offered free plane rides and hotel stays to the top 100 California CEOs to look at relocating to Arizona after California voters passed a $6 billion dollar tax hike that effects mainly higher-income earners. GPEC said it has 24 solid leads.
Barry Broome heads up GPEC and said Arizona is more than competitive with Texas as far as business climate.
“The cost of the living and real estate is lower here and we’re closer to California.
GPEC’s campaign has led to a war of words between Broome and California Gov. Jerry Brown, leading to
Barry vs. Jerry and now Barry vs. Perry.
“Our universities are as good or better. Arizona State performs better than the University of Texas and University of Arizona outperforms Texas A&M,” Broome said.
The Arizona Commerce Authority recently opened offices in California to pitch businesses full-time.
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Caring Crisis: Rising tide In Alzheimer’s disease leads to shortage of caregivers
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain