PHOENIX — Forget the good looks and charming personality as a means to success in romance. Learn to speak another language.
Online learning company Rocket Languages surveyed 5,000 people and found almost 80 percent of those polled find a person more attractive and intelligent if he/she spoke a different language.
Some of the worst pickup lines ever, including ‘I lost my phone number, can I have yours?’ is a top line when delivered in French, Italian or Spanish, the top three languages of love, according to Rocket. English ranked fourth.
“What happens is the woman gets curious. Not so much about the pickup line but because it’s being delivered with an accent,” said Valley dating coach Joane Cohen.
“It doesn’t come across as cheesy but cute as the guy is trying something from another country so it’s more appealing.”
But Cohen said the best way to meet someone special is to leave the house and the language learning tapes behind.
“Go to a singles event, a party, talk to someone in a grocery store. Take a little risk and open yourself up,” she said.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments