PHOENIX — Forget the good looks and charming personality as a means to success in romance. Learn to speak another language.
Online learning company Rocket Languages surveyed 5,000 people and found almost 80 percent of those polled find a person more attractive and intelligent if he/she spoke a different language.
Some of the worst pickup lines ever, including ‘I lost my phone number, can I have yours?’ is a top line when delivered in French, Italian or Spanish, the top three languages of love, according to Rocket. English ranked fourth.
“What happens is the woman gets curious. Not so much about the pickup line but because it’s being delivered with an accent,” said Valley dating coach Joane Cohen.
“It doesn’t come across as cheesy but cute as the guy is trying something from another country so it’s more appealing.”
But Cohen said the best way to meet someone special is to leave the house and the language learning tapes behind.
“Go to a singles event, a party, talk to someone in a grocery store. Take a little risk and open yourself up,” she said.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life