PHOENIX — Forget the good looks and charming personality as a means to success in romance. Learn to speak another language.
Online learning company Rocket Languages surveyed 5,000 people and found almost 80 percent of those polled find a person more attractive and intelligent if he/she spoke a different language.
Some of the worst pickup lines ever, including ‘I lost my phone number, can I have yours?’ is a top line when delivered in French, Italian or Spanish, the top three languages of love, according to Rocket. English ranked fourth.
“What happens is the woman gets curious. Not so much about the pickup line but because it’s being delivered with an accent,” said Valley dating coach Joane Cohen.
“It doesn’t come across as cheesy but cute as the guy is trying something from another country so it’s more appealing.”
But Cohen said the best way to meet someone special is to leave the house and the language learning tapes behind.
“Go to a singles event, a party, talk to someone in a grocery store. Take a little risk and open yourself up,” she said.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night