PHOENIX — The Arizona Department of Weights and Measures randomly selected 29 Valley businesses to see if consumers were being charged correctly ahead of Valentine’s Day and a majority passed the test.
The agency specifically inspected items typically associated with Valentine’s Day, including diamond and gold jewelry, designer perfume, cologne and women’s lingerie.
“If they’re advertising it, they’re supposed to give you the price. If they don’t, call us we can help,” said ADWM spokesperson Shawn Marquez.
According to a news release, of the 29 inspections, state officials scanned 1,425 individual products for price accuracy. A 98.6 percent compliance rating was achieved overall.
However, 19 retailers were found to be overcharging. Scanning discrepancies at four retailers resulted in $1500 in civil penalties.
Inspection data revealed the prominent area of consumer overcharges was found in the perfume department.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them