PHOENIX — The Arizona Department of Weights and Measures randomly selected 29 Valley businesses to see if consumers were being charged correctly ahead of Valentine’s Day and a majority passed the test.
The agency specifically inspected items typically associated with Valentine’s Day, including diamond and gold jewelry, designer perfume, cologne and women’s lingerie.
“If they’re advertising it, they’re supposed to give you the price. If they don’t, call us we can help,” said ADWM spokesperson Shawn Marquez.
According to a news release, of the 29 inspections, state officials scanned 1,425 individual products for price accuracy. A 98.6 percent compliance rating was achieved overall.
However, 19 retailers were found to be overcharging. Scanning discrepancies at four retailers resulted in $1500 in civil penalties.
Inspection data revealed the prominent area of consumer overcharges was found in the perfume department.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development