PHOENIX — The Arizona Department of Weights and Measures randomly selected 29 Valley businesses to see if consumers were being charged correctly ahead of Valentine’s Day and a majority passed the test.
The agency specifically inspected items typically associated with Valentine’s Day, including diamond and gold jewelry, designer perfume, cologne and women’s lingerie.
“If they’re advertising it, they’re supposed to give you the price. If they don’t, call us we can help,” said ADWM spokesperson Shawn Marquez.
According to a news release, of the 29 inspections, state officials scanned 1,425 individual products for price accuracy. A 98.6 percent compliance rating was achieved overall.
However, 19 retailers were found to be overcharging. Scanning discrepancies at four retailers resulted in $1500 in civil penalties.
Inspection data revealed the prominent area of consumer overcharges was found in the perfume department.
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains