PHOENIX — The Arizona Department of Weights and Measures randomly selected 29 Valley businesses to see if consumers were being charged correctly ahead of Valentine’s Day and a majority passed the test.
The agency specifically inspected items typically associated with Valentine’s Day, including diamond and gold jewelry, designer perfume, cologne and women’s lingerie.
“If they’re advertising it, they’re supposed to give you the price. If they don’t, call us we can help,” said ADWM spokesperson Shawn Marquez.
According to a news release, of the 29 inspections, state officials scanned 1,425 individual products for price accuracy. A 98.6 percent compliance rating was achieved overall.
However, 19 retailers were found to be overcharging. Scanning discrepancies at four retailers resulted in $1500 in civil penalties.
Inspection data revealed the prominent area of consumer overcharges was found in the perfume department.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier