PHOENIX — Peoria police are reviewing a recent traffic checkpoint in which 11 suspected illegal immigrants were arrested.
The Jan. 29 checkpoint near Grand and Peoria avenues was intended as a commercial vehicle safety inspection.
“A second component of that stop that night was to make sure that drivers had their correct registration and licenses, and that everyone that was on the road was licensed and registered to be on the road,” said Peoria Police spokeswoman Amanda Jacinto.
Peoria sent a mass e-mail to several other police agencies about the inspection, including Immigration and Customs Enforcement. Jacinto said it was ICE officers who showed up at the checkpoint and made the arrests.
She said that once her department began hearing complaints that the checkpoint was an immigration roundup, her department took action.
“Some of our command staff went out to the checkpoint and decided to close it down for the night,” Jacinto said. “This in no way involved immigration checks. It in no way involved racial profiling.”
Since the incident, Peoria Police Chief Roy Minter has been meeting with members of the Hispanic community.
“They have told us that they have been very impressed with the way we have been handling this and that we are reaching out to them,” said Jacinto.
She said there are no plans for another commercial vehicle inspection.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona