PHOENIX — Peoria police are reviewing a recent traffic checkpoint in which 11 suspected illegal immigrants were arrested.
The Jan. 29 checkpoint near Grand and Peoria avenues was intended as a commercial vehicle safety inspection.
“A second component of that stop that night was to make sure that drivers had their correct registration and licenses, and that everyone that was on the road was licensed and registered to be on the road,” said Peoria Police spokeswoman Amanda Jacinto.
Peoria sent a mass e-mail to several other police agencies about the inspection, including Immigration and Customs Enforcement. Jacinto said it was ICE officers who showed up at the checkpoint and made the arrests.
She said that once her department began hearing complaints that the checkpoint was an immigration roundup, her department took action.
“Some of our command staff went out to the checkpoint and decided to close it down for the night,” Jacinto said. “This in no way involved immigration checks. It in no way involved racial profiling.”
Since the incident, Peoria Police Chief Roy Minter has been meeting with members of the Hispanic community.
“They have told us that they have been very impressed with the way we have been handling this and that we are reaching out to them,” said Jacinto.
She said there are no plans for another commercial vehicle inspection.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them