PHOENIX — Peoria police are reviewing a recent traffic checkpoint in which 11 suspected illegal immigrants were arrested.
The Jan. 29 checkpoint near Grand and Peoria avenues was intended as a commercial vehicle safety inspection.
“A second component of that stop that night was to make sure that drivers had their correct registration and licenses, and that everyone that was on the road was licensed and registered to be on the road,” said Peoria Police spokeswoman Amanda Jacinto.
Peoria sent a mass e-mail to several other police agencies about the inspection, including Immigration and Customs Enforcement. Jacinto said it was ICE officers who showed up at the checkpoint and made the arrests.
She said that once her department began hearing complaints that the checkpoint was an immigration roundup, her department took action.
“Some of our command staff went out to the checkpoint and decided to close it down for the night,” Jacinto said. “This in no way involved immigration checks. It in no way involved racial profiling.”
Since the incident, Peoria Police Chief Roy Minter has been meeting with members of the Hispanic community.
“They have told us that they have been very impressed with the way we have been handling this and that we are reaching out to them,” said Jacinto.
She said there are no plans for another commercial vehicle inspection.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier