PHOENIX — Some Arizona politicians want to bring back financial incentives for filmmakers, among others.
A bill has been introduced at the state legislature that would include tax incentives to the multimedia industry, which includes films, documentaries, television shows, commercials, video games and other projects.
“When it comes to major motion pictures, the decision is basically made on the economics, which state is going to carry the move the furthest,” said Phoenix Film Office Program Manager Phil Bradstock.
Between 2006 and 2010, Arizona offered tax credits.
“Prior to the incentive we were doing about $23 million worth of economic spending within the greater Phoenix area from the film industry,” said Bradstock. “Once the incentive was in place, we rose to $35 million the following year.”
Since the incentives stopped in Dec. 2001, Bradstock said related spending in the Valley has dropped 45 percent.
Phoenix city council members will discuss whether to support the legislatin introduced by Sen. Al Melvin of Tucson. The city supported similar legislation in 2010, 2011 and 2012, but state lawmakers failed to approve it.
Currently, Arizona is among 11 states that offer no film or multimedia tax incentives.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl