PHOENIX — Some Arizona politicians want to bring back financial incentives for filmmakers, among others.
A bill has been introduced at the state legislature that would include tax incentives to the multimedia industry, which includes films, documentaries, television shows, commercials, video games and other projects.
“When it comes to major motion pictures, the decision is basically made on the economics, which state is going to carry the move the furthest,” said Phoenix Film Office Program Manager Phil Bradstock.
Between 2006 and 2010, Arizona offered tax credits.
“Prior to the incentive we were doing about $23 million worth of economic spending within the greater Phoenix area from the film industry,” said Bradstock. “Once the incentive was in place, we rose to $35 million the following year.”
Since the incentives stopped in Dec. 2001, Bradstock said related spending in the Valley has dropped 45 percent.
Phoenix city council members will discuss whether to support the legislatin introduced by Sen. Al Melvin of Tucson. The city supported similar legislation in 2010, 2011 and 2012, but state lawmakers failed to approve it.
Currently, Arizona is among 11 states that offer no film or multimedia tax incentives.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night