PHOENIX — Some Arizona politicians want to bring back financial incentives for filmmakers, among others.
A bill has been introduced at the state legislature that would include tax incentives to the multimedia industry, which includes films, documentaries, television shows, commercials, video games and other projects.
“When it comes to major motion pictures, the decision is basically made on the economics, which state is going to carry the move the furthest,” said Phoenix Film Office Program Manager Phil Bradstock.
Between 2006 and 2010, Arizona offered tax credits.
“Prior to the incentive we were doing about $23 million worth of economic spending within the greater Phoenix area from the film industry,” said Bradstock. “Once the incentive was in place, we rose to $35 million the following year.”
Since the incentives stopped in Dec. 2001, Bradstock said related spending in the Valley has dropped 45 percent.
Phoenix city council members will discuss whether to support the legislatin introduced by Sen. Al Melvin of Tucson. The city supported similar legislation in 2010, 2011 and 2012, but state lawmakers failed to approve it.
Currently, Arizona is among 11 states that offer no film or multimedia tax incentives.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon