PHOENIX — Restaurant tycoon Sam Fox is at again, and this time he’s turned an old motorcycle garage into a hip, new hangout in north central Phoenix.
Located on Seventh Street near Bethany Home Road, Culinary Dropout at the Yard is Fox’s 18th restaurant to open in the Valley.
“The building’s been here for about 60, 70 years and when we saw this space we thought this would be a great opportunity to do something here in north central,” said Fox, founder of Fox Restaurant Concepts.
The restaurant features live music, an indoor and outdoor bar, and a huge patio with fire pits and games.
The food is prepared by executive chef Andrew Ashmore, who received a James Beard Award nomination for rising star chef younger than 30.
It’s Fox’s second Culinary Dropout location. The other restaurant is at the Scottsdale Waterfront.
“This is three times the size of the one in Scottsdale,” Fox said. “It’s got a little edgier vibe, just has a little more soul.”
For years, the area has been void of any major attractions, but Fox believes the location couldn’t be any better.
“I think Seventh Street is an unbelievable corridor.” Fox pointed out its proximity to interstates 10 and 17 and is a major Phoenix thoroughfare. “We’re excited about seeing some redevelopment going along Seventh Street here.”
Culinary Dropout at the Yard opens for business Monday, Feb. 11 at 11 a.m.
Watch a video review of another of Fox’s restaurants, The Arrogant Butcher, below.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night