PHOENIX — Restaurant tycoon Sam Fox is at again, and this time he’s turned an old motorcycle garage into a hip, new hangout in north central Phoenix.
Located on Seventh Street near Bethany Home Road, Culinary Dropout at the Yard is Fox’s 18th restaurant to open in the Valley.
“The building’s been here for about 60, 70 years and when we saw this space we thought this would be a great opportunity to do something here in north central,” said Fox, founder of Fox Restaurant Concepts.
The restaurant features live music, an indoor and outdoor bar, and a huge patio with fire pits and games.
The food is prepared by executive chef Andrew Ashmore, who received a James Beard Award nomination for rising star chef younger than 30.
It’s Fox’s second Culinary Dropout location. The other restaurant is at the Scottsdale Waterfront.
“This is three times the size of the one in Scottsdale,” Fox said. “It’s got a little edgier vibe, just has a little more soul.”
For years, the area has been void of any major attractions, but Fox believes the location couldn’t be any better.
“I think Seventh Street is an unbelievable corridor.” Fox pointed out its proximity to interstates 10 and 17 and is a major Phoenix thoroughfare. “We’re excited about seeing some redevelopment going along Seventh Street here.”
Culinary Dropout at the Yard opens for business Monday, Feb. 11 at 11 a.m.
Watch a video review of another of Fox’s restaurants, The Arrogant Butcher, below.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments