PHOENIX — Restaurant tycoon Sam Fox is at again, and this time he’s turned an old motorcycle garage into a hip, new hangout in north central Phoenix.
Located on Seventh Street near Bethany Home Road, Culinary Dropout at the Yard is Fox’s 18th restaurant to open in the Valley.
“The building’s been here for about 60, 70 years and when we saw this space we thought this would be a great opportunity to do something here in north central,” said Fox, founder of Fox Restaurant Concepts.
The restaurant features live music, an indoor and outdoor bar, and a huge patio with fire pits and games.
The food is prepared by executive chef Andrew Ashmore, who received a James Beard Award nomination for rising star chef younger than 30.
It’s Fox’s second Culinary Dropout location. The other restaurant is at the Scottsdale Waterfront.
“This is three times the size of the one in Scottsdale,” Fox said. “It’s got a little edgier vibe, just has a little more soul.”
For years, the area has been void of any major attractions, but Fox believes the location couldn’t be any better.
“I think Seventh Street is an unbelievable corridor.” Fox pointed out its proximity to interstates 10 and 17 and is a major Phoenix thoroughfare. “We’re excited about seeing some redevelopment going along Seventh Street here.”
Culinary Dropout at the Yard opens for business Monday, Feb. 11 at 11 a.m.
Watch a video review of another of Fox’s restaurants, The Arrogant Butcher, below.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths