PHOENIX — Restaurant tycoon Sam Fox is at again, and this time he’s turned an old motorcycle garage into a hip, new hangout in north central Phoenix.
Located on Seventh Street near Bethany Home Road, Culinary Dropout at the Yard is Fox’s 18th restaurant to open in the Valley.
“The building’s been here for about 60, 70 years and when we saw this space we thought this would be a great opportunity to do something here in north central,” said Fox, founder of Fox Restaurant Concepts.
The restaurant features live music, an indoor and outdoor bar, and a huge patio with fire pits and games.
The food is prepared by executive chef Andrew Ashmore, who received a James Beard Award nomination for rising star chef younger than 30.
It’s Fox’s second Culinary Dropout location. The other restaurant is at the Scottsdale Waterfront.
“This is three times the size of the one in Scottsdale,” Fox said. “It’s got a little edgier vibe, just has a little more soul.”
For years, the area has been void of any major attractions, but Fox believes the location couldn’t be any better.
“I think Seventh Street is an unbelievable corridor.” Fox pointed out its proximity to interstates 10 and 17 and is a major Phoenix thoroughfare. “We’re excited about seeing some redevelopment going along Seventh Street here.”
Culinary Dropout at the Yard opens for business Monday, Feb. 11 at 11 a.m.
Watch a video review of another of Fox’s restaurants, The Arrogant Butcher, below.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever